1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online Forums Drying up / Dying

Discussion in 'General' started by motodog650, Jun 22, 2022.

1. 2fingers

2fingers Well-Known Member

FIFY :beer:

2. Jedb

Jedb Professional Novice :-)

Just put it on the list with the other things...

3. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

I started racing with WERA before the internet. When the BBS came around it was an invaluable source of information, some of which had to do with racing motorcycles.
    In the intervening years since, it became more for entertainment value though with the occasion (and often failed) attempt to help someone with a racing related issue.
    It was a place where like minded people met and had a laugh or gave each other shit. And it was often very fun.

I stayed away from here for a while because it became less fun, more angry, openly hostile political views etc.
    I came back recently, because, well, because I was bored to be honest, and found the BBS to be more like it had been in the past though perhaps slightly diminished and with the occasional ‘clever’ political comment, but still amusing and with a few interesting conversations about motorcycle racing.

I am thinking about taking another break though due to a few people who just can not seem capable of keeping their politics to themselves. Nothing is a bigger turn off than reading through a thread and some jackass turns it into open threats of violence towards someone who has a different political opinion. Ugh. Life is too short for that shit and I’d rather just not be around those types of people.
    If this or other forums are dying it may be because other people have realized the same thing. If I wanted to talk politics I’d go to one of those forums. Just my opinion and to quote another ex-poster “your mileage may vary”.

4. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

I love psycho like back then. The shit talking was insane amd funny as hell. Met some good dudes there

TurboBlew likes this.
  5. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

I own a fairly new Royal Oilfield forum. Its growing pretty quickly and is self-moderated for the most part. Peeps are keeping the politics out so far. Biggest problem I have is the Russian spammers.

6. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

We got 20 to 30 a day but the shut down of Russian access to the web and Ukrainian “help” we are way down on them. I also did some shit behind the scenes. ;) :D

China is active again lately and Vietnamese spammers are trying again but they’re mostly idiots. Nigerian scammers are ramping up again.

you can’t totally stop them all but if you have time you can wipe out 99%. :D

TurboBlew, motion and BigBird like this.
  7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

that seems like a you issue vs posters or members.
    I realize some people forget the adjective before "forum"... known as discussion.
    Like minded = echo chamber??
    You dont have to agree with everyone or anyone.
    Also there are user tools available as part of the board software where you can remove those participants posts that are making such a bad experience.
    I get why WERA shut down the political forum. Plenty of additional entertainment at Phls place.

418, BigBird and Rebel635 like this.
  8. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

That's a common trait. You give them a dedicated room in the system, they still keep putting it in the "general" section, and it happens no matter what the topic subject is. Some people can't take not delivering their nuggets of nonsense.

9. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

IE, “this isn’t the echo chamber I’m used to and I’m forced to read other peoples opinions that are different than mine”

TurboBlew likes this.
  10. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

Thin skin, forced to be PC correct. Offend, mention chicken strips. Suggest joining the forum instead of just asking a question on first post. Post a video (found one no video's)
    Life is way to short to allow the small BS stuff bug you. If your still kicking at 60, your moving slower, give a shit less and don't.
    Not my circus, not my monkey.

Guess the question becomes screw the rest. Why has this one slowed down, miss the fun and BS. Must just be me.

11. Tortuga

Tortuga Well-Known Member

No you fucking tool bag. Like minded as in people who all like to race motorcycles.
    Fascinating how some people make assumptions that are so completely off base in order to justify their own misguided preconceptions.
    Differing opinions about motorcycle racing related issues, disagreements about motorcycle racing related issues, different perspectives of the same motorcycle racing related issues and the ensuing arguments. All of these things are exactly why myself and many others (used to) come here.
    If I wanted to express my political beliefs or had the slightest interest in yours, I would go to one of those places dedicated to such topics. But I don’t need to tell you or anyone else about my politics or religious or any other beliefs that have nothing to do with motorcycle racing. And here’s the crux of the point so pay attention to this next bit; I don’t want to hear about yours or anyone else’s. Even if I agree with them.
    So, if I can’t scroll through a thread about motorcycle racing related shit and not come across some idiot who thinks his political view is so important and clever that he simply can not keep it to himself then I prefer to spend my time elsewhere. And as that was sort of the topic of this thread (ie people leaving forums), I mentioned it.
    Hope this clears up a few things for you.
    But I doubt it.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  12. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Jesus still loves you.

418 and GixxerBlade like this.
  13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

F@cker still hasn’t finished my flower beds and I think he stole my rake.

Sudowoodo likes this.
  14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Doesn’t he know you’re a member of a protected class? That sumbish should be Cole Forbes’d on the intragores! For shame!

t500racer likes this.
  15. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

There used to be a place where people could vent about current events, away from the main board. Like minded people still like to discus other events going on in the world.

Sadly, that place was closed. But Phil stepped up.

TurboBlew and Banditracer like this.
  16. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Easy to skip the posts that are political or messages that are political. Real easy solution is for you to simply skip the topics that don’t interest you.

scrolling through page 1, I’d say less than half the topics are actually motorcycle racing related.

where’s your vitriol for guys talking about guns or zero turn lawnmowers, or any other Miriad of topics not pertaining to motorcycle racing.
    Fact is, this is a meeting place for internet friends and acquaintances, NOT strictly motorcycle racing topic only.

You sound triggered. Who hurt you?

17. motodog650

motodog650 pissed-off bloody wanker

Sometimes, I just like to start the fire, then sit back and enjoy watching it burn...

_indy likes this.
  18. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Interestingly enough, not all that long ago a couple lame idiots here made actual physical threats to others here because of politics. Not just some vented feeling towards some dipshit TV personality that sells his lies as facts. Its par for the course. If mods didnt ban or say anything with the violent threats others received here......then its clearly ok just to say that stuff. :cool:

_indy and Phl218 like this.
  19. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

My name is Zeus. The man was sayin' "Hey Zeus!" :D

pickled egg likes this.
  20. Phl218

Phl218 .