1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Online Forums Drying up / Dying

Discussion in 'General' started by motodog650, Jun 22, 2022.

1. motodog650

motodog650 pissed-off bloody wanker

2. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

FB Groups and YouTube have dominated the "How To's".

And most forums are very clumsily viewed on a phone screen.

If it wasn't for my desktop at work more than likely I wouldn't even monitor the board.

motodog650 likes this.
  3. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Can we find out where he works and alert the IT staff, please ;)

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The beeb has always changed, evolved, twist and turns. The OGs are fewer, the second wave of the bbs has ebbed, the newest wave of posters has gotten smaller.

but the beeb is the beeb and will continue on as long as Ev and Sean find a value in it and 13x wants to host it.

it survived MySpace, has fought off zuckerbook and farts in the general direction of twitters.

418, bleacht, Pride & Joy and 11 others like this.
  5. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Mongo ruined it, too. :D

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

you think BBS software developers hadnt thought of that??? lmao

maybe get your eyes checked & dont have the zoom cranked up to 300%?

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Revzilla has gone full retard.

8. Circacee

Circacee Well-Known Member

I'm relatively new to the Beeb but I dig it.

Interesting observation though.. When people on FB ask for "racebike parts, ISO's etc", 99% for the time someone posts "check the WERA forums."

Guess the forums aren't dead after all.

BigBird, Shenanigans, ducnut and 3 others like this.
  9. evakat

evakat Well-Known Member

FZRonline.com used to be the go to place for information and what not...
    Facebook just made it easier and reached way more demographics.
    So it's a evolution of sorts...

10. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Its not just motorcycle forums. I have been looking into stage rally for a while now. The couple us based forums are a ghost town (Rallyanarchy.com & Specialstage.com) as everyone moved to facetoobs. And facetoobs sucks for this kind of thing.

Try searching a facebook group for technical info, or anything at all. It is so much worse than even a crappy BBS system. trying to find for sale ads, how someone fixed a problem 5 years ago, etc...

11. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Between the ads and the algorithms that determine which posts are "most relevant", I hate facetoobs.

12. nd4spd

nd4spd Well-Known Member

Forums were started by enthusiasts which was great until it became a part time job managing all the personalities, dealing with spammers, etc. Advertising helped offset costs but still came with a lot of headaches. Then Internet Brands and Vertical Scope came along and threw 5 and 6 figure sums at site owners. Then they littered the sites with ads making many of them borderline unreadable and stopped updating the forum software because they only cared about making money off of the content and didn’t care about fostering the communities. Newer forum software runs just fine on a mobile browser.

13. Jed

Jed mellifluous

Sport touring.net died when it was sold.

14. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

The facetube groups seemed to be just a lazy attempt to run a forum and last I looked at one two or three years ago, seemed to hangouts for ego driven steakheads with way too much censorshit. I’m sure this was a small minority but that ruined my interest in even checking them out.

black knight and BigBird like this.
  15. Cooter!

Cooter! Sarcasm level: Maximum

Never done the FB thing, and I don't want to start now.

Get off my lawn ya hippie!

16. Dave Wolfe

Dave Wolfe I know nuttin!

Never been on FB. I am on gab though. If its similar to gab, the format is useless for discussions.

17. G 97

G 97 Garth

What is a motorcycle forum? :crackup:

I quit FB two years ago and Twitter as well. Too much censorship from the types who were easily offended by mean tweets. They are both cesspools of liberal misinformation and censorship. Both went full retard several years ago.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2022
    Killswitch, tl1098, borislav and 2 others like this.
  18. G Dawg

G Dawg Broken Member

Discord is a big reason forums are dying

GixxerBlade likes this.
  19. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

More demographics aren't always a good thing for what a forum may be trying to accomplish. I bet some forums are just returning to what they were 15yrs ago - a smaller collection of fanatics. I'm all for the trolls leaving and spending their time in FB groups.

20. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I hear that name being tossed around, what is it?