1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

Discussion in 'General' started by NemesisR6, Jul 29, 2019.

1. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Interested to hear what others thought about it, especially fans of Tarantino's other work.

Personally, I thought it doesn't even belong in his top 5 films (lumping Kill Bill Volumes 1-2 together, even).

There were some entertaining bits, to be sure..........but couldn't shake the persistent feeling of "meh" through its nearly 3 hour(!) run time.

*edit* for the sake of others, let's not get too spoilery.....

2. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Well this is disappointing…

3. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I wanted it to be good, as it might have been a film I would have paid to see (many months from now, via streaming).

But most reviews of it were reserved, disappointed, or said it was outright bad.

4. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

I really want to go see this, but feeling this might be overhyped.

5. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

You'll always have this guy to worship.

2243721-jok118.jpg

6. NemesisR6

My rankings:
    1. Pulp Fiction
    2. Django Unchained
    3. Kill Bill 1 & 2
    4. Inglorious Basterds
    5. Reservoir Dogs
    6. Hateful Eight
    7. Once Upon a Time in Hollywood
    8. Jackie Brown
    9. Death Proof

7. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Leonardo DeCapuccino went from decent actor to full blown Hollyweirdo. Tarantino shot his best load many years ago. Maybe after it winds up in the free streaming queue I'll watch it.

Shenanigans likes this.
  8. cha0s#242

I can't imagine a more annoying character than Brad Pitt in Inglorious Basterds. I've rarely seen such pathetic overacting. The rest of the movie was pretty good, but damn did he suck. He was just as bad as in Burn After Reading. I'm thinking he's going to make DiCaprio (another pretty bad actor) look just as bad.

Shenanigans likes this.
  9. sidepipe79

sidepipe79 Well-Known Member

Out of that list, I have only seen Kill Bill. Given that movie, I have abstained from the rest of his.

10. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I read this first sentence and was going to reply "have you seen Burn after Reading"? And then you ruined it for me.:D

cha0s#242 likes this.
  11. Mille R

Mille R Well-Known Member

Hateful Eight is fantastic. Loved it.

Phl218, NemesisR6 and speedluvn like this.
  12. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

You must be smoking K2. DiCaprio has made some pretty good movies; Wolf of Wall Street, Revenant, Departed, Beach, catch me if you among a few others.
    Pity has a couple that I liked but I can’t readily recall those at the moment.

13. cha0s#242

He's not as bad as Pitt and was supported by strong scripts in most movies you named, but he's a pretty fucking average actor... The Great Gatsby comes to mind.

14. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Man I really liked Pulp Fiction. I saw Kill Bill 1 and remember not really liking it enough to go see #2? Maybe I should revisit that now.

CRA_Fizzer likes this.
  15. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

I’ve not seen The great Gatsby but the movies that I’ve mentioned he seemed “acceptable” I’ve damned sure have seen worst.

16. NemesisR6

I really liked him in that movie, because it WAS such an over-the-top caricature.

17. pfhenry

pfhenry Well-Known Member

Thats the general vibe I got from the preview... Hollywood plot? meh.

also reminded me of the south park rip on star wars 7 .. "more of a happy days reunion special than a movie"

i'll prob see it months from now... Loved RDogs, pulpfiction, and Django too much not to

18. NemesisR6

Uh, let's not forget his role as Calvin Candie in Django. That was one of the most incredible performances of all time...........seriously.

The scene at the dinner table where he smashes his hand and breaks the glass, cutting his hand? He actually sliced open his hand for real and never broke character. Then they used fake blood to smear on Broomhilda's face. That shit was CRAZY!

[​IMG]

19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

I didn't comment on Pitt because despite his lackluster acting at least he likes motorcycles.

20. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I saw it last night at my girl's behest. Three hours of my life I'll never get back.

I love Tarantino, but this one was painful. If I'd have been alone I would have walked out.