1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

On the subject of guns...

Discussion in 'General' started by Gorilla George, Mar 27, 2020.

1. Has anyone here been involved in a self-defense shooting at home (burglar, for example)?

If so, how did it go as far as the police are concerned? Did you just answer everything truthfully, or did you immediately demand a lawyer even though you didn't do anything "wrong"?

Ive been watching a video on that subject, and it said that regardless if it is self-defense, and in your own home, you can expect to be detained and possibly arrested. It says your gun will be seized as evidence, and you can expect interrogation at the scene and back at the police station.

I couldn't sleep last night and was just running through various scenarios. If something was to actually happen, my first instinct would be to just tell them what happened, honestly, and that's it.

But I know laws vary by state in terms of the use of lethal force, and there might be some shit at play that I am not aware of.

So im just curious if anyone has been through that, and how it was handled.

2. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Not me personally....but.....IN a SOUTH CAROLINA situation:

Person acted in self defense while the business he was currently in was being robbed at gun point.

Person shot and killed one of the robbers and the other fled out the back door ultimately getting away.

Person's fire arm was taken by SLED.

Person was taken from the scene and detained at police station.

Person, in this case, was truthful in what happened as there were about 15 on-site witnesses and video evidence.

Person obtained legal council after the fact.

Person did have to go to trail and was found not-guilty.

Person's firearm was returned after the trail.

Phl218 likes this.
  3. MGM

MGM Well-Known Member

First rule from a federal law enforcement agency if you’re involved in a self defense shooting -“Shut the fuck up”

Second rule is like Fight Club-“SHUT THE FUCK UP”

Get an attorney before making ANY statement. You can very easily talk yourself into trouble even if you did everything right.

Dragginass, tony 340, Phl218 and 2 others like this.
  4. grasshopper

grasshopper Well-Known Member

I have not but if you do carry and you do plan to use your firearm for self defense either in the home or on the street please look into insurance. I have USCCA which covers me up to 1 million bucks if I do pop someone. https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/

And I strongly recommend a self defense course. Most firearm dealers who have shooting ranges have classes. The class I took was well worth it.

XFBO likes this.
  5. See, that is what I was thinking also.

I mean, if someone broke into my home and walked into my bedroom, im blowing his face off...and I wouldn't feel I have done anything wrong at all. Because I wouldn't feel id done anything wrong, my first reaction would be to just be like "this is what happened, I was sleeping and heard...….". In my mind, I didn't do anything wrong, so why would I need a lawyer? Plus, in movies when someone says "im not saying anything without my lawyer present", it just makes it seem as if they are guilty.

The way I see it, my guns are legal and registered, I was minding my own business in my home, he broke in, I feared for my life, and took action. I didn't ask for nor initiate any of it.

But ive heard of so many horror stories where "good people" get screwed over, even though they didn't do anything morally wrong.

6. Montoya

Montoya Well-Known Member

How the police and prosecutors respond will vary significantly by jurisdiction, always best bet to have a lawyer... you never know how it will go with certainty.

Senna and Gorilla George like this.
  7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Not me personally but a friend of a friend had a couple of badnicks break into his business trying to steal chemicals to cook up some meth. He happened to be there sorting some shit out and shot one of them, the other high hoed up the middle and out the door. Methhead he shot was armed and the cops hauled him off to the hospital and he survived. Took his weapon but not detained (told not to go anywhere and they would be in touch).

Blah blah blah, shot methhead ODed on pills and junk before trial and his family sued the business owner for excessive, contributing to his death and his not being able to support his kids (not married, just a shit ton of kids). Drew out for awhile, he won but he lost in that it cost him a shitton of cash to fight the lawsuit.

8. grasshopper

I was told in my class to say you feel like you're having a heart attack because of high anxiety and immediately go to the hospital even if you don't need to. This buys time to tell your story. I was also told not to give an official statement to the police for 48 hours. This allows time space distortion to go away and for you to collectively give a proper statement. At the heat of the moment and closely after the incident adrenaline will run high and you may have the tendency to say things that you wouldn't if you were calm and collective.

Gorilla George likes this.
  9. That's the kind of bullshit im talking about.

10. That's a valid point. Makes a lot of sense.

11. grasshopper

If you pack get the insurance. I pay 25 a month

Gorilla George likes this.
  12. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

You from SC??? HA HA HA That sounds exactly like my instructors speech.

13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

The correct answer is...

Shoot, shovel, shut-up.

14. Yzasserina

Yzasserina sound it out

Jesus Chris, it is proven to you over and over and over and over and over again that people are not like you. And you always have the same question. Why aren't people like me? They aren't. In this hypothetical, get an attorney. It doesn't make you look guilty, it makes you look smart. More importantly, it protects you and your liberties.

SuddenBraking likes this.
  15. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I feared for My life. I want my lawyer.

DmanSlam, SuddenBraking and noles19 like this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

They're comin right for us!

rowe748, tiggen and scottn like this.
  17. fastfreddie

I see nothing but fear mongering for a buck with these “concealed carry/home defense” entities.
    Insurance, protection, certification? Yeah, can you help me any quicker than the Police can respond? Will you camp out at my place and be my personal watchdog/bodyguard? No? Didn't think so.
    Almost makes ya want to carry a worthless POS...and a shovel. :D

18. A. Barrister

A. Barrister Well-Known Member

Anything you say CAN and WILL be used against you in a court of law.

Don't say anything. Call your lawyer. Let your lawyer talk for you until such time he says it is ok to talk.

The jurisdiction you are in will have a lot to do with what happens. That's all I'm gonna say on that...

I'm not a lawyer, and don't play one on TV. I did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Gorilla George and sdg like this.
  19. fastfreddie

In my jurisdiction, I believe they provide a shovel if you can not afford one. :crackup:

crashman and A. Barrister like this.
  20. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

My god how lazy are you right now. At least take 5 seconds and get a gif...:D

[​IMG]

[​IMG]