1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Older Diesel trucks

Discussion in 'General' started by vosnick52, Jun 29, 2020.

1. Pride & Joy

Pride & Joy Well-Known Member

Hoping not to induce any confusion, but for your consideration, I figured I'd go ahead and contribute my over priced two cents anyway....

I have and daily drive a 2014 4wd Dodge dually that I bought new. I have almost 96,000 miles on the clock, about 75% of which, utilized a late model emissions intact Smarty tuner set to increase output by approximately 100hp. I tend to average a combined 17 mpg + or - while empty , with a high of 18.5 on an interstate commute running 75 to 80 mph, and anywhere from 9.5 to 13+ when towing. I'd guess overall, I've run about 75 - 80% empty, and I tow multiple trailers ranging from a 6x10 "yard equip. trailer" to a 40' enclosed car trailer as well as a 38' farm trailer. On really good days I tow a 7x14 Haulmark LowEdge with a couple bikes and support equipment. :) A friend with a 2wd version claims 20+ combined without a tuner.

I'd be happy to expand on my experiences if desired, but in the interest of time, I'll offer just a few... So far, knock on wood (!), I haven't had any significant problems with the emissions equipment - I've thrown a couple codes a few times, but have been able to clear them without further issues. DEF consumption increases dramatically when towing. Daily driving a dually can be painful, but I've been doing so since Oct. of '97. Once you get used to far away parking spaces and the larger dimensions of the vehicle, it's not so bad. My greatest concerns usually involve fast food drive throughs, so I try to avoid most of them. My wife will not drive my truck - I think she's been behind the wheel of either truck maybe twice - total. I figured that might be important to you since your new vehicle will be her DD. The current truck has the Aisin transmission. There seems to be no shortage of opinions out there regarding its pro's and con's, but my experience has been mostly positive. I've installed a deep pan for additional fluid and cooling capacity, and perform maintenance along scheduled requirements. The only time I've seen temps. above 165 was when I was stuck in construction traffic last summer on I-40 in NC while commuting between TN and GA. Honestly, my greatest issue has been adapting from a manual to an automatic. My truck seems rather fond of "steer" tires (I'm on my 4th set), but the first 2 sets were OEM, and only got less than 20K each. Hopefully, a decent front end alignment prior to installing the most recent set of Michelins 10K mi. ago will enhance tire life - things are looking good so far. Lastly, I don't "drive it like I stole it". I don't baby it as I'm not afraid to put a little heat in the motor, but I only really "get on it" when necessary. The tuner seems to really help the truck perform similar to what it would if it didn't have all the emissions equipment while enhancing and improving both drive-ability and fun factor. I've always been very pleased with the comfort of the ride, amenities, and appearance inside and out of the truck. To the best of my knowledge, everything still works like it's supposed to.

Bottom line: my experience has been very positive with a late model, emissions diesel pickup truck. Treat it as you value it, and it will probably perform accordingly. Good maintenance and minimal abuse should yield the results your seeking. If you're not real confident in judging the merits of a "good" used diesel truck, paying for someone with that expertise might be a good option for you. Have a great time camping this weekend and let us know your thoughts and what you decide.

aftriathlete and Ducti89 like this.
  2. TWF2

TWF2 2 heads are better than 1

Depending what you towing you may need them on truck as well. I have 07 duramax 2500 which I said many times I will never sell or trade for newer.
    I also had work and play trailer which has wheels towards back and is tongue heavy that would sag truck pretty good even with weight hitch. Bags fixed that issue.

Attached Files:

3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Nice.
    06-07 are unicorn years for duramax.

No emission crap, DEF DPF etc (only simple EGR)
    injector issues fixed
    Allison A1000

If you keep the engine stock-ish and the truck rockers from rusting it will run forever.

4. TWF2

It does have tuner, 5 maps, 2 for towing which is nice to avoid using brakes. Other 3 are +90 and +120 and economy.
    No rust where I live :)

ChemGuy likes this.
  5. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Hey Dan, is there an egr fix or is it so minimal that one isnt required?

6. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I dont own one....but I believe its not really a big deal. The EGR back than was super simple. Its the new ones that have the DPF/DEF that have complex (fail prone) EGR systems.

That said I am sure there is a delete kit around. Maybe needs tune as well.

Ducti89 likes this.
  7. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

Thank you!

8. vosnick52

vosnick52 Well-Known Member

Be towing a 7500lb Heartland Fuel toyhauler

9. zertrider

zertrider Waiting for snow. Or sun.

I don't know how long you drove one for but look elsewhere. They are crappy on fuel, lower power than the others, lower tow ratings and heavier. We had one for a couple years and were glad to see the taillights out the driveway

10. TWF2

About same weight as one I had. Depends how it is balanced. See where wheels are on my, there was a lot of weight on tongue.

Attached Files:

11. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

How soon do you want a tow vehicle and how much do you expect to spend?

I'm torn between selling my diesel dually, it's a good one, and buying a new gasser. I'd rather my Lariat LE go to a good home, like a fellow racer, than to somebody who'll not appreciate it for its legacy.
    FWIW, I bought if off of Billy Ethridge with 46K miles in '05. He towed a 14Klb stacker using a WD hitch. It now has about 106K miles. Biggest thing I towed, infrequently, was our camper ~ 30'/7000lb. Cosmetically, it's a bit worn, you wife might even say "I ain't feelin' it", but it does its job well and will certainly handle the Heartland.
    Check the options and prices on a 2002 Ford F-350 Lariat LE...see if Dear Wifey likes it. They are all duallies and all have the 7.3 PowerStroke.
    Mine's all black, has the LE windshield louver, aftermarket CD/DVD/speakers, cold air intake, 4" turbo downpipe through Dyno-something mufflers, Michelins, HyperTune(?) and a brake controller. All the other options were standard. 2wd, it gets 16-17mpg every day empty. It's a highway hauler, towing the Heartland, prolly 11mpg. I treat it lightly...it tows my 7x14 v-nose, 4500lbs fully loaded for racing, everywhere up and down the east coast. I don't even bother checking fuel mileage.
    PM me if you don't need something too soon.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  12. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Took a while to find a pic...
    IMG_1021.1.jpg

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
  13. No Brakes

No Brakes Well-Known Member

I have Timbrens on my 12 F250 4X4. The ride is no more harsh than with the stock bumps. Pull my 25 W&P that has 1700lb tongue weight with weight distribution hitch and have minimal squat. Have hauled it from Atlanta to Wisconsin and Pittrace a few times, avg 11-12mpg at 70. I added a 60 aux fuel tank as the factory tank is only ~25gals. Regens every ~200 miles. Just installed Banks Derringer in place of the crappy Stealth Module.

aftriathlete likes this.