1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old school WERA riders...where are they now ?

Discussion in 'General' started by RGV 500, Dec 2, 2005.

1. SpeedyE

SpeedyE Experimental prototype, never meant for production

Boonie passed me on the brakes w/ his 500GP, I was late-braking hard, and he came by me still on the gas, I said he never gonna stop.....that bike stopped/slowed so fast, made your head spin. It was impossible. Musta had calipers from a pickup truck on it, lol. That bike was awesome!

2. Once a Wanker..

Once a Wanker.. Always a Wanker!

Your use of the term 'Old school WERA riders' is a bit, well, comical. Most 0f your list were either in diapers, or not yet born, when the Franks founded and first made WERA a place for folks to make a name for themselves roadracing motorcycles. The Czar's seen more 'chit than most of you young whippersnappers can begin to imagine. Long before she knew she'd become 'THE Czar.' It's what keeps Mongo humbled, on occasion.

SpeedyE likes this.
  3. 418

418 Expert #59

I'm wondered what Trey Batey is up to. Dude vanished after his RoadA crash few years back. He's a legend in his own right, IMO.

ToofPic, SpeedyE and BC like this.
  4. SpeedyE

When did WERA open?
    I was introduced in 85. The OG Local racers I knew/friends, Mark Oldham, Denny Martin, Ronnie Widman, Team St Louis (Dan Hayes, Bob Marqurt(sp)), and Shaw & Kessler raced sidecars too (never saw sidecar, they told me about it). I was little kid, these guys where who i looked up to, my heros. Mark Oldham was my first Hero, my hero my whole life, even today.
    I did wera race school w/ Marquart teaching, on a borrowed 81cb750F-ss in late 87, was dragging engine case the whole day, lol. everyone else had gsxrs/etc, i was fastest pupil/student that day on the cb750, marquart told me.
    Met Kurt Hall at my 1st race when he tech'd me 88 (hurricane), Nicest guy I have ever met at the track.
    I wish I could go back in time....I never forget those memories.
    <3

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  5. the relic room

the relic room Well-Known Member

@SpeedyE Wera was established in 1973.

SpeedyE likes this.
  6. SpeedyE

:bow::bow::bow::bow::bow:

7. SpeedyE

Did Shaw & Kessler race sidecars, did wera race sidecars, or where they lying to me?....i never seen wera race sidecars

8. joec

joec brace yourself

I've heard the was a class at some point.

SpeedyE likes this.
  9. kyle carver

kyle carver Well-Known Member

Imagine if you will the days before the internet , yes there was a world prior Well if you didn’t know someone who raced how would you ever figure out how to start. That was the predicament that the rascal who got me into racing faced. Plus the fact that he didn’t own a car only a street bike. He went to an AMA race and ended up asking the people at Road A how do I start and they gave out the WERA address. He was saying his riders school consisted of a guy saying the track goes this way try not to crash. I’m sure he suckered me into going so he would have transportation to the track. But all I had was a 72 Vega with a one rail trailer. I think my first race was in 1981. Lots of good memories. I still have the same trailer and same old friend

SpeedyE likes this.
  10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He came out and did a school at the Vette track last year.

SpeedyE likes this.
  11. OldGuyOnBlu

OldGuyOnBlu Well-Known Member

Does anyone know Larry Shorts and where he might be these days? He was a Nelson fanatic back in the early 80s.

12. Rdrace42

Rdrace42 Almost Cheddar

Norma Bonnelli (sp?)