1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Old or newer?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by LI Pilot, Aug 10, 2009.

1. LI Pilot

LI Pilot Yamadog

Hey everyone. I'm a newbie getting into the racing scene. I have all my equipment and some possible bike candidates. I own two CB 450's and a 350. I'd like to get into the vintage scene although I don't know if it would be more cost effective or any better on maintenance. To modify one of my bikes or to just go for a newer model machine. I also question the parts replacement cost when I go down. From what people gather what would be the more appropriate bike for me. I can afford to hit a few club races and maybe a race or three outside of that. It may be a silly question but all input counts.
    Thanks John

2. Rodger

Rodger RamJet

I have not raced in years .. but I would buy a ninja 250 , ex500 or something ready to race before I would spend what it would take to set up 1 of those . I would also be afraid of racing those , they might have been great in their day , but scarey compared to the handling & brakes of newer stuff . You know when you get into a duel , you will be pushing it & I remember some wiggles from those bikes still :) .

3. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

you might be suprised at how fast you can go on the classic Hondas.

4. Nosferatu

Nosferatu WERA 996 AHMRA 248

I just finished to put together my CB350 racer. If you want to know how was it please PM me. As for parts there is no shortage on eBay and there isn't much to break to be honest.

5. eightforty

eightforty Member

I think you'd be better off starting on a vintage bike, like the 350. Take a racing/riding school or three. When/if you decide to get on a larger, faster bike, you'll have the experience and skills to use most of what the bike can deliver. They ARE faster than they look....and pretty reliable too.

Tim

6. ......and loud and stinky and just plain cool. They are also pretty easy on tires which will save you money.

7. LI Pilot

LI Pilot Yamadog

Sounds like the 450's are the way to go for me. I have two of them and parts aren't so much of an issue. the 350 seems like its just too small in regards to ergonomics. I'll be a bit more comfortable with the 450. I still think that the bike set up will be a bit pricey, but hopefully worth it. Has anyone been through both? and what was their outcome?

8. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

(Steve976 needs to chime in on this, he has both.)

More folks are running 350s than are running 450s.
    More parts are commonly available for the 350s - stock ones because they made a zillion of them, aftermarket/race because lots of people race them.

9. LI Pilot

LI Pilot Yamadog

OK True, but what about ergonomics. I have long legs and I just don't sit on that bike the same way. I couldn't imagine it with a racing seat. I'll do the measuring.

10. eightforty

eightforty Member

I guess if you're doing an endurance race, it may be a little uncomfortable for a bigger guy.... I find the 350 small(and I'm only 6'0, 190lbs, 34" inseam) but it's fun just the same. Move the bars forward, move the seat back and have at it!

P1-350 racing in the VRRA

The racer behind me in this photo(can just see his front end) is a couple of inches taller than I am...:)

11. LI Pilot

LI Pilot Yamadog

Yep, That may just do it. One more thing, would it be that the 350's valves can handle more than the 450 Torsion bar spring system?

12. Nosferatu

Nosferatu WERA 996 AHMRA 248

13. southsidejack

southsidejack Well-Known Member

I just spent the last 8 months building a CB350 and it ran for 15 laps at Mid-O before it went away. If I had it to do again I would buy a bike already set up, there have been a couple on here. Learn to ride it and modify it as you go. I have way more money and time in mine than you would buying one. As for size, I am 6' 2" and 250 and have no trouble folding up on the 350 Honda.

14. LI Pilot

LI Pilot Yamadog

Hey, is it true that the rims of a Yamaha XS650 are adaptable to the CB450? Please let me know I'd hate for this deal to pass me by.

15. Steve 976

Steve 976 Well-Known Member

Where to start.. The 350 and 450 do make good race bikes, the 450 is harder to set up to make last because of the torsion bars in the head, and a an oiling problem to the exhaust camshaft. This all depends on what you plan to do to these motors. Buff Harsh can set you up with just about any hot rod part needed to roadrace these bikes. I have a V1 350 and a V2 450. PM if you need more info.

16. Bill 306

Bill 306 Flying Scotsman

350 is the way to go. It took a lot of convincing from my good friends to start with my 350 but after 18 months of fun and excitment, they were right. The bike is relatively easy to work on ( and you-will-work on it a great deal). Parts are cheap and plentiful and there are a bunch of 350 "experts" to help you. Having a simple bike will allow you to concentrate on learning the ins and outs of the racing world and how to behave on the track. Then if you realy like racing and you have any money left on your credit card it you can move up to a quicker ( = more money and time) bike.

17. LI Pilot

LI Pilot Yamadog

Thanks for the input. Although I was thinking about it and after all, I've been riding CB450's for about 20 years+. I think just from the respect of the bike alone I'd love to embark on to making it into a racer alone. I know it might take a while but I'd feel better about it anyway. Again, if anyone knows about the rims of an XS 650 fitting a CB 450 I sure would appreciate it.

18. footwork

footwork Honda Research Analyst

There is truth in the fact that the 450 is harder to work on. It is bigger and heavier too and honestly I have a hard time finding a reason to race one because of those factors. However- the torsion bars work fine with the correct cam- and they are not a problem at all- they work very well.

PS- I HAVE A SOLUTION FOR THE EX CAM OILING PROBLEM THAT IS COST EFFECTIVE AND DOES NOT INVOLVE 1K$ oil pumps!!! If anyone is interested I would be happy to talk to you.This is a bolt on item that works, and you will not find it anywhere else.

19. ROSKO

ROSKO the dirty Knacker

Run what you like, the truth is if you run the 450 most of the guys you race against will be on 350's, 500gp being their bump class. So it's all good, you get to ride something you are familiar with, have spares for and still hang with the cool kids. It's good times all around.

20. LI Pilot

LI Pilot Yamadog

Sounds good to me gentlemen. Although if anyone could answer the wheel question, on whether or not an XS650 wheels can be laced to a CB450 hubs that would help me quite a bit.
    OH! and Buff I'd be interested in what part you have for the cam oiling issue.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2009