1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oklahoma gets it right....

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by baconologist, Aug 19, 2017.

1. R Acree

R Acree Banned

One of my friends got pulled over on the east side of ATL on I 20 running 70. His offense was impeding the flow. Just a warning, but I thought it was amusing.

2. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Who asked you?

:beer:

3. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Hand out some expensive tickets for people who block the left lane and the problem will decrease.
    It'll never go away. Some people like to enforce the speed limit and some are just zoned out, either tired or otherwise occupied.
    And that's not just because of cell phones, I've seen people reading maps, books, even the newspaper while they drive.
    Guys shave, women put on makeup, everybody eats.
    Then there're the drunk and drugged.
    Paying attention to their driving is way down the list for a lot of the people you find yourself sharing the road with.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep. The tickets do help, people around metro ATL don't do the left lane thing when they're not running 80 or more for the most part.

5. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

They already have steep tickets for these...people still do the wrong thing in the eyes of the law.

6. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I'm with the enforce the speed limit crowd.

7. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

I'm not....

8. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

That works great in W Texas or Montana

BigBird likes this.
  9. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Alabama is no better for the left lane parking. Going .000071 mph faster than the right lane.

Fuckers.

10. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Funny... I just drove the entire... height...? of Oklahoma on I35 and got stuck behind left lane campers several times. We did see these signs, and my wife made the same comment as you! ;)

I did, however, notice that several sections of left lane have been replaced with slightly rougher surfaces than the right lane. Not enough to damage your ride, more of a noisemaker effect. All I can figure is that it's to encourage getting back over.

11. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Alabama is full of people who drive .000071 mph slower than my cruise control speed and then get angry when I pass them, causing them to repass me and once again drive .000071 mph slower than me. I think it's a game that no one told me about.

t500racer likes this.
  12. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

It's the ultimate driving game. :D

13. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

As mentioned earlier, all states have this problem, but I think Wisconsin is the worst. Kills me every time we pass through there, which is at least once or twice per year.

My best experience was hauling a trailer up to Breckenridge Colorado. We stayed in the right hand lane and passed hundreds of cars over dozen of miles in the Colorado mountains. You had everyone in the left hand lane, refusing to move over because they all wanted to pass. We were laughing out loud for miles...

14. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Minneshitholia isn't that bad once you get outside the metro. I've found outstaters seem to be a bit less preoccupied with being a self-absorbed doosh

15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Pa actively tickets for this, and it's still a problem but nowhere near as bad as it was before. But yeah, if you're in the left lane and not actively passing I can get pretty fucking annoyed.

16. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

All traffic violations should be $1000, payable on the spot. Particularly, no turn signal or improper use thereof, failure to maintain a steady speed, left lane not passing, lane discipline - can't properly merge or stay within your lane without weaving, etc...
    Speed limits should be a minimum on limited access roads or, at least, in the left lane of said road.
    I think parking should also be included. Parallel parking 18" from the curb? You're in the road.
    And, yes, stupid should hurt.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  17. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I'm surprised that there has been no mention of left lane blocking being a contributing factor in all the road rage incidents that are growing in frequency. I'm a pretty patient driver but even I get close to passing on the shoulder, then getting ahead of the left lane creep and braking to make him slow down and move to another lane. I'm cautious enough to understand that some drivers might very well come charging ahead while opening fire with their equalizer so, at this point, I have refrained from that drastic action. :eek:

18. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Years ago I read an article written by a traffic engineer with the Texas Highway Dept. (Dept. of Transportation) that was stating that research revealed that where a sign was erected was of great importance to it's effectiveness. For example, if a sign is placed at an intersection or other place where drivers are making decisions about direction of travel, speed, etc. the driver is more likely to see a posted sign than out on the open road where he/she knows that there is likely no decisions to be made that directly apply to them.

Just think of the number of signs posted on public street and highways. My God, there are literately thousands of them and to expect a driver to be able to see all of them enough for those instructions to actually register on their little pea-picking minds is insane especially if the driver is paying attention to his/her driving environment. A driver would have to drive about 10 mph to be able to read all signs that are presented. Wait! Maybe that's what the law is trying to achieve. :D

19. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I get people who drive slower than me, and when I pass them, they speed up and re-pass, just to then slow down. I guess an F250 is supposed to always be in front of a Prius, even if the F250 driver is slow as molasses on a sub-zero day.

20. motorkas

motorkas Well-Known Member

1) golf carts should not be allowed on public roads
    2) 860 ft/lbs of torque should always be in front of said golf cart . .or they shouldnt be allowed on public roads either. . .even on sub zero days
    3) can't come up with anything else - still getting over the fact you volentarily admitted to owning and driving a Prius

(full disclosure - I'm currently shopping for a fuel efficient car as we speak - the only input I got from the other half "under no circumstances can it be a f'ing Prius. . .").

Good god man. . .we live in the era of BMW diesels, turbo charged and hybrid everything. Embrace efficiency advancements - like acceleration, handling and ascetics :D