1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Okeefenokee Swamp Trip

Discussion in 'General' started by corsameltin, May 29, 2007.

1. corsameltin

corsameltin Well-Known Member

I went years ago and am planning another trip there. It was amazing. You camp on a 20x20 floating platform in the middle of a 60 mile square swamp. Paddle out in your canoe or you can rent a powerboat. The canoe was the way to go. Gators and snakes everywhere and the fishing was awesome. Anyone adventerous that wants to see something different? Its like being on another planet in some places. No one for miles. Thinking about reserving a platform in late Sept.for a 3 day trip.into the swamp.

2. corsameltin

riding cycles down there of course, PBS has a show on right now if you wanna check it out.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Right now is NOT a good time with the fires.

4. crusty9r

crusty9r Human Lawn Dart

Best $50 I ever spent was the day I rented a 16' john boat w/ 9.5hp motor down there. I saw more gators from the parking lot than I saw in my whole life. Awesome trip. I'm waiting for the kids to not be "bait" size before I go back.

5. Paige

Paige BBS FF Champ

Swamp is burnt up right now. :(

6. another gsxr 10

another gsxr 10 Well-Known Member

Correction, swamp is still burning right now......

7. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

very cool place. i've spent a few nights there as well. I ran the outdoor rec program for UGA and we did canoeing trips there, and backpacking on cumberland island. spent many nights on cumberland in the backcountry.

i've been wanting to go back but wiht the fires i might have to wait a while.. but canoeing or sea kayaks would be the way to go!!

Jeff

8. Smokes35

Smokes35 Well-Known Member

yes it is, thats a much more exciting story...

"we paddeled for what seemed like miles... the fire was all around us... then mongo saved the day"

9. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

I have a handful of techs here that go to a house in the middle of the swamp. It's an actual house that one of them built on top of plastic barrels. I have to question the mental status of anyone that willingly goes to the swamp to battle water moccasins, gators, and wild boars just to get a decent fish.

10. corsameltin

its not the destination, its the journey:D