1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil

Discussion in 'Tech' started by prm, Jan 23, 2022.

1. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I’m over analyzing what oil to go with on a new bike, 890 Duke R. Bike is for track days and street, spec from manufacturer is for JASO T903 MA2, 10w50. Of course, being a KTM, they recommend Motorex. Hard to find Motorex 10w50. I used Motul 300V in my R6, seemed fine. Plan is to go with Motul. But interested in what others offer.
    Do any particular oils really perform better, or worse? Or, any additional considerations?

Motul 300V2: does not state MA or MA2, just says suitable for wet clutches. They say it “exceeds standards on T903. T903 is a test, the result should be MA, MA1, MA2. But they don’t say which. In general Motul seems to avoid mentioning any certifications.
    https://azupim01.motul.com/media/mo...Factory_Line_10W-50__en_FR_motul_20210324.pdf

Liqui Moly Motorbike 4T Synth 10W-50 Street Race: good enough for Moto2.
    https://products.liqui-moly.com/motorbike-4t-synth-10w-50-street-race-5.html

Motorex Power Synt 4T: factory recommended. Hard to find.
    https://motorex.com/Shared/Document..._MA2/POWER SYNT 4T SAE 10W_50 JASO MA2_EN.pdf

BelRay EXS Synthetic Ester 4T Engine: Know nothing about it. Do they make good stuff these days? Made in USA.
    http://www.belray.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/02/EXS-Synthetic-Ester-4T-Engine-Oil.pdf

2. rice r0cket

rice r0cket Well-Known Member

Quick search shows Motorex Cross Power 4T seems available, it's the Power Synt without detergents. Run it until Power Synt becomes available again, or keep changing it early.

Or just run whatever meets JASO MA2 spec. The nuanced differences only becomes important if you really stretch your oil change intervals. It's a street bike with a factory built motor, it's pretty much guaranteed not to be very oil sensitive.

3. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

I’m probably an idiot, but I run T6 in all my bikes and don’t think about it and change frequently.

beathiswon likes this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

5. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

Shoot someone beat me to it, Rotella in everything.

SuddenBraking and beathiswon like this.
  6. rymerc

rymerc Well-Known Member

Bonus points if you have one of the rotella rebate participating stores near you like Rural King. You can practically get that shit for free

7. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Its f'ing oil. Put some in and it'll run just fine.

beathiswon likes this.
  8. prm

prm Well-Known Member

I did learn that Motorex Cross Power 4T is the same as Power Synt 4T. The Cross Power 4T is available.

Yes, it sure is just oil and I will indeed put some in and run it. In the meantime just asking about some of the finer details.

9. prm

prm Well-Known Member

Plan B. Maxima Pro Plus+. 10w50. Made in USA.

10. gapman789

gapman789 Well-Known Member

Is this really a question....Rotella T6....in everything, even my new RSV4 Factory race bike. duh. :D

SuddenBraking likes this.
  11. prm

prm Well-Known Member

FWIW, I listened to an engine builder today on a podcast say he thought Rotella used to be very good, but 5-6 years ago they had to change for diesel requirements and it now has much more detergents and is not as good for bikes as it was. Don’t quote me, I think thats what he said.

JCW likes this.
  12. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

My engine builder really liked how my bearings looked after a season of using Amsoil Synthetic Metric. It's not expensive for a good oil and I just order it by the case from Amsoil.

13. JCW

JCW Well-Known Member

The idea using diesel oils was due to the fact of decreasing levels of zinc an anti-wear compound in newer oil formulations for cars.
    Diesel oil lagged behind keeping zinc levels high but now are as much regulated in reducing zinc levels as "regular" oils.

For ur original question, I'd ask one question. Does the stock catalytic converter stay on or does its lifetime function concern you more than engine and valvetrain? If no, run a racing oil with adequate zinc and be ready to change more frequently to prevent acidification and corrosive wear with lower rpm street use.

14. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member