1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil Pump / Other Mechanical Issues

Discussion in 'Tech' started by RoidRageFool, Jan 3, 2022.

1. RoidRageFool

RoidRageFool @FundedByWifeRacing

Hello Forum,

In my search for a second bike to build, I came across one that has some significant damage to bodywork, tank, cluster, etc. I was informed that apart from cosmetic, the only major thing wrong is that the motor now has a problem with the oil pump. From the photos, the bike took a hard high or low side and flipped at some point. The bike has been sitting for over a year and has not run other then trying to turn it on post crash.

I have almost no real knowledge of motors, and was wondering what else could have been affected by the bad oil pump. I was going to have the motor pulled and rebuilt anyways, so is there anything major that I should be looking for. I'm sure the list could get very detailed, and without pulling it apart, I am sure the list could go on to the point where the motor is junk. But, if it is just the oil filter, is it worth it knowing the entire motor is being pulled and rebuilt.

Thank you

2. RIB333

RIB333 Well-Known Member

Bad oil pump, the whole top end, who knows.

RoidRageFool likes this.
  3. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Everything inside the engine would be potentially affected.

RoidRageFool likes this.
  4. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

hard hit on the stator side at high rpm could mean a tweaked crank
    somethings just dont have any value sometimes... :(

RoidRageFool likes this.
  5. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Dont be scared! If the bike is a good deal, find a buddy who is knowledgeable in bikes help you inspect it before buying it.

Its kinda hard to know if you have a bad oil pump, as they rarely go bad. How did the owner know it was damaged? Just doesnt make sense to me, a bike would crash and the oil pump to go bad

6. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

Who said the bike has a "problem with the oil pump"? What do they base that on? Be careful.

7. RoidRageFool

RoidRageFool @FundedByWifeRacing

Owner says it wouldn't pass tech at a track day after some duct tape repairs and new bars / levers. They deduced it to be a oil pump. I have yet get the answers to these questions yet from him. Hopefully he / she will be able to provide some more insight. I think overall it is a decent deal, if the motor isn't shot to beyond repair.

I will have to find out more. I figured I would be careful and ask you guys first. From the other responses as I had figured a lot could have gone wrong. I also was wondering why the oil pump? I could see other items getting jacked up before that. I appreciate everyone's feedback. If I get more details I will let you know. Thanks again

8. ibidu1

ibidu1 Well-Known Member

Im now wondering maybe oil pump case cover got damaged and the gear for the pump maybe bad. You really need someone with a good mechanical knowledge look at the bike for you. Do you have pics post them