1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oil Change - metallic mixture

Discussion in 'General' started by EngineNoO9, Mar 25, 2017.

1. EngineNoO9

EngineNoO9 Well-Known Member

Changed the oil on my bike (2003 gsxr 1000) which was a previous track day whore and has around 17,000 miles on it. Allegedly the oil was just changed and had 1 track day on it. Changed it and it seemed to be slightly metallic. I can't figure out how else to describe it. No metal shavings, just metallicy. Mostly noticeable on the magnetic drain plug. Wondering if this may be a sign of clutch wear or what? Unfortunately am not in a position to test ride it anywhere yet to see how it's operating. Doing top to bottom maintenance on it before steering the bike. Wondering if I should pop the clutch cover off or leave it and see what happens?

2. deepsxepa

deepsxepa Hazardous

like a fine sludge on the drain plug? tiny amount or thick build up? if no actual shavings, Id run it 50-100 miles with the fresh oil then drain it while hot. see if the oil itself looks contaminated/metallic. if it doesnt and also no more on the drain plug, id probably refill and change sooner than normal but more than 250 miles again for another look then depending on how that looked. decide if i needed to dig into it.

p.s. did you drain it into a clean container? if so, let it sit over night and pour it into another container to see how much heavy settlement is left behind if any.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2017
  3. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

4. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

Check the clutch discs, probably just clutch material.

5. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Shiny but not metallic? Brass or bearing material. I'd do as mentioned above.