1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ohvale issue

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by Neutron Jenkins, May 26, 2022.

1. Neutron Jenkins

Neutron Jenkins Well-Known Member

Just picked up an Ohvale 190 but having an issue. Still new to the bike so I figured I’d ask some experts.

so I get the bike started but won’t stay running. Thinking it’s something with the carb but before I start pulling parts, maybe someone knows a more exact route to take.

2. Ricky T

Ricky T Well-Known Member

Make sure your gas tank is venting properly? Just a thought.

3. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

could be the jet vibrated out as well

4. Neutron Jenkins

Neutron Jenkins Well-Known Member

Gas tank is venting, just checked it
    I’ll check the jet and see
    It’ll run on choke with throttle
    Soon as you go choke off or let off throttle, it’ll die

5. FastByKids

FastByKids Tire Warmers What?

Welcome to the horizontal Chinese engine club!

1. Oh-vale uses a hookie round knob fuel shut off. Disconnect fuel line from carb and make sure you have good flow.
    2. Our gas sucks nutz in the US market. Almost 80% of these issues are resolved by cleaning the needle jet. (Remove both jets spray with Carb Cleaner / NOT BRAKE CLEANER)
    3. Once you have Carb bowl removed, install fuel line and move float up and down to confirm gas comes out and shuts off. If not clean and adjust.
    4. Make sure your throttle has a little bit of slack.
    5. Might need to move idle screw in a bit.

This should get you going.

6. dave3593

dave3593 What I know about opera I learned from Bugs Bunny

When one will only stay running on the choke it almost always means plugged mid or high range circuits plugged. The carb, and probably whole fuel system, needs cleaned including EVERY passage must be open.

tempestm likes this.
  7. Jefe

Jefe Wannabe

If it's also a little more difficult to start I'd check the valve adjustment as well.

tempestm likes this.
  8. Rugbydad

Rugbydad Tiny Member

I just got a brand new one as well. It's been notoriously difficult to start and I find myself holding the choke about half way for a minute or so before I can completely let go of the choke. Normal for it to be difficult to cold start??

9. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Initially I had a hard time getting mine to start as well. Not sure exactly why, but it's gotten a lot easier.

One thing I'll admit to fucking up was doing it with the clutch lever pulled in.
    I'll chock it up to the Ohvales being my first bikes that didn't have electric start.

I try to avoid any fuel with ethanol in the 3 I have.

My biggest wish would be the 190 and maybe the 160 come with dual disc brakes. A single disk is fine for kids, but adults buy the bigger bikes and I'd feel the package
    would be better balanced overall if the brakes had more stopping power for 200+ pound adults like myself. But regardless, they're a hoot to ride.

Rugbydad likes this.
  10. DmanSlam

DmanSlam Well-Known Member

Have you checked your carb settings, timing and valve adjustments? It's brand new but I wouldn't assume it is properly set up for your atmospheric riding conditions.

11. Rugbydad

Rugbydad Tiny Member

You're probably correct. It's been cold in Wisconsin all spring. I'm sure it'll run better in Georgia when we get there. I'm excited to bring the boys to the Herrin compound for some sessions

FastByKids likes this.