1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ohlins springs in stock forks

Discussion in 'Tech' started by mike-guy, Feb 20, 2017.

1. mike-guy

mike-guy Well-Known Member

A friend of mine just picked up his first track bike an 07 gsxr 600. We knew that it had stock springs in it and were planning to buy new ones but the springs from my ohlins 30mm carts on my 08 gsxr 600 are identical diameter and only a 1/4in shorter. Figure we can run them just will loosing a 1/4in of preload adjustability. Anyone else done this?

[​IMG]

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Just fabricate a longer preload spacer to account for the difference in length. You can make one out of a piece of aluminum tubing or PVC.

3. mike-guy

Good call on the PVC. I remember racetech gives you spacers to cut down when you buy springs from them.

Also my bike has the newer ttx shock and with 5mm of spacers I was able to get my geometry set no problem. On his bike even with 5mm of spacers the height adjuster on the shock only leaves 3 or 4 full threads left in the shock. Doesn't seem right but I ran the part number and it's the correct shock.

4. Add another spacer to the top of the shock if it makes you feel more comfortable.

5. mike-guy

That's what I did. The spacer nut sits dead flush with the bolt now, which I guess isn't a problem.

I was mostly curious as to at what point should you be concerned? Looking at it even with the extra spacer 5 or 6 threads isn't a lot. If I'm being paranoid just say it.

6. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

There's a no-go indicator on Ohlins shock clevis threads. It looks like a thread is missing. If you can see this beyond the locknut, you are longer than the recommended length.

It sounds like the rear might be too high. This is common.

7. mike-guy

Hit the nail on the head there. I actually just called ohlins tech line and thats exactly what they told me. Thanks, now to take it apart again and check.

8. mike-guy

Ok so I looked at the adjuster and it's to far out by about 3 mm and it is still short form where people suggest it should be (328mm). Another call to Ohlins and they said that actually measuring the shock length is wrong because of the top out spring. He said these shocks are 320mm minimum with a 3mm adjustment range and to then just max it out and add shims at needed. Is this the procedure most people use?

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I had to do similar on my 06 600 (same geometry as the 08). Had to max the ride height adjuster on the spring and then add shims to the clevis as well. I also went to 328mm just don't recall how much shims that required to get that coupled with the shock length extended.

10. mike-guy

But did you actually measure the eye to eye on the shock or just go with Ohlins saying that at max height it's 323mm? It's strange because when I was researching all these settings for my own bike I never came across anyone talking about this.

11. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I think I measured the eye to eye length once the adjuster was set out. But that does sound about correct as I think I added 5mm worth of shim to the clevis.

12. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

You have to extend the shock to max length- requires stretch tool.