1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ohlins fork service cost

Discussion in 'General' started by testiesalmon, Oct 1, 2018.

1. testiesalmon

testiesalmon Well-Known Member

So I just got charged about $550 to have my TTX36 forks serviced by a certified tech in Houston. He did replace the compression damp adjuster ($13 part) at the same time, but the service took up the majority of the cost. Labor alone was about $400 after tax.

Is this reasonable? If so, I'll definitely be doing this myself from now, so I need references to suitable tools, and part kits. If not, then I need recommendations of someone else to send it to. Don't care if they aren't in Tx/Houston, I'm happy to send away.

He also did a number on the preload nut, looks like the socket slipped off 5-6 times and stripped away a fair bit of the blue ohlins anodized coating. Pretty annoying.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Sounds a little steep to me for a fork service unless there were alot of parts that needed replacing, and if I'm sending it out to an Ohlins certified shop I'd me pissed if they sent it back with a chewed up preload adjuster.

Not THAT much work involved on just a rebuild.

3. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Is the Ohlins shop in NC still open?

4. testiesalmon

So whats typical? Sorry, I'm new to the States.

Seals and fluid were only other thing replaced. They made up the majority of the rest of the bill (~$120 after tax).

Edit, the labor was definitely the killer. 4 hours at $90 an hour (pre-tax)

5. testiesalmon

What about a place like Superbike Unlimited? Looks like they do mail in servicing for Ohlins gear, and seems pricing starts at $200 (for forks) based on their website.

noles19 and TLR67 like this.
  6. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

I’d be pissed if I paid that much and something was messed up like that.

I think that’s alittle high from what I’ve seen it’s like 450 ish for forks and rear shock serviced included ( I could be wrong). The ohlins specific oil I know usually makes the service more expensive compared to other brands. Was it a full take apart and clean service or a “pump and dump” type deal? Have to watch where you take it some techs are way better then others in my experience .

7. buzz-06

buzz-06 Well-Known Member

For just a service on my standard 25mm kit from CTR is was $265 with seals and oil and such. When I had the ktech pressurized stuff it was $100 more. When Thermosman changed up the valving and a few other things for me long ago it was $565.......all depends what they were doing in there I suppose

VFR#52 likes this.
  8. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Thermosman!!!!!

9. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

Fast Bike Industries
    828-435-0125

noles19 and tropicoz like this.
  10. steve802cc

steve802cc Well-Known Member

I was just talking to Mike “Thermosman” at the end of August about refreshing my suspension.
    Here’s what he told me
    “TTX service $125.00 plus $38.00 if it needs seals, bushing, o-ring

Front forks w/Ohlins Gas Carts $250.00 plus $65.00 seals (BMW Sachs Forks)”

This was going to be trackside work if it makes any difference. Obviously anything else I wanted done would be extra.

His link below
    http://www.thermosman.com/

Steve

testiesalmon, dickie doo and VFR#52 like this.
  11. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Yep.

12. You got robbed and down right violated. Assume about $250 /300 if you are making valving changes and some support on set up (not full on support). This includes all new maintenance items like seals etc.

Gorilla George and 418 like this.
  13. For that much money you can buy most of the tools needed and do it yourself. Personally I don’t touch inside of motors or inside of suspension (spring change excluded). I leave that stuff to the experts which in your case his last name should be Ohlins.

BigBird likes this.
  14. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Were the forks on or off the bike?

418 and gpz11 like this.
  15. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Not if they're Ohlins tools...I think I have more invested in Ohlins tools than my IRA.

jkraft, BigBird, triplestrong and 2 others like this.
  16. lonewrench

lonewrench Mr.Charles

If the forks were on the bike then the price is right. We charge 200.oo labor off the bike and 300.00 on the bike, plus parts of course.

jkraft and RightSideUp like this.
  17. Robby-Bobby

Robby-Bobby Steeltoe’s Daddy

Definitely just find a shop you trust. You’re never gonna do your own enough to justify buying the special tools needed.

18. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

Check out MRP Motorsports... had great service from them - ultra responsive and quick turnaround time.

Costed me $336 for my Penske (they do Ohlins too) shock to be serviced, some parts replaced, and a new spring. Highly suggest them.

19. Phl218

Phl218 .

there is öhlins in Hendersonville NC,

F.B.I. (David Behrend) in the same neighborhood

And of course Thermosman in Atlanta.

20. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Yup.. That's where I was going...