1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ohlins fork oil?

Discussion in 'Tech' started by r677, Nov 20, 2012.

1. r677

r677 Active Member

Just wondering what the best fork oil is. Im rebuilding the forks on both my bikes. 08 race r6 and 07 street r6. I heard ohlins was a good oil. I want to use 5w but they have it rated in cst. Does anyone know What the equivelnt cst is to 5w.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Do your forks have Ohlins internals? Ohlins fork oil is good, but its also very pricey, not good enough to warrant its price tag in my opinion (JMO).

You cannot compare one oils 5wt cSt rating to another. As you will see here they vary greatly. Ohlins oil that is recommended for 25/30mm carts and FPK kits is 19 cSt @40C. So you can see where it fits in this chart. I personally use Redline Yellow for Ohlins stuff, and Yellow and Red mixed 50/50 for Traxxion AK20s.

http://www.peterverdone.com/archive/files/suspension oils.pdf

Depending on what is installed in your forks, get the recommended oil brand/weight the tuner suggests, find on the chart there and you can substitute with whatever is as close as possible if you can find it. As I said, IMHO I like Redline Synthetic suspension fluids. They are made here in the US, lots of different weights you can mix together to get just the right weight you need, and easy to find and affordable. Not to mention it is top quality fluid. You can find lots of positive reviews on the stuff.

3. r677

r677 Active Member

Awsome, thanks for the info. Yea i got racetech 25 mm kits on the 08. The 07 is stock

4. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

5. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

Check out STG, under their Ohlins section:

http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/Categories.bok?category=Ohlins+Fluids

In each product, there's a rough comparison of cst to w. And as mentioned, I would check with your local tuner on which oil they recommend.

6. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

In a pinch, I have used both Motul Expert and Factory line Light 5W and it worked fine. Both are just over 18 Cst.

7. r677

r677 Active Member

I ordered the ohlins 19cst from stg. Im not very particular. The oil charts help alot. As long as i got a decent oil in a weight thats not way off and its not leaking im happy. Ive done alot of mx forks but never road forks. Im gona do my daily driver r6 first since its ot as critical as the race bike.

8. mtmansl

mtmansl Well-Known Member

Why do you mix the Redline Red and Yellow as opposed to just using Maxima 7wt? I agree Redline makes quality lubricants but is there a specific reason other than the brand?