1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ohlins Fork help

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Dieselboy, Feb 24, 2012.

1. My left fork feels way too stiff. I opened it up and the fork oil is at the recommended level and the springs are the same. When opened up the cartridge won't drop down unless I put a good amount of force on it,the other one returns normally. Could this be a valve or piston issue?

Edit: R6 forks with Ohlins 25mm carts.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2012
  2. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Is it difficult to pull back up as well?

3. Not as hard as it is to push down.

4. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

That sounds more like a compression valve issue than a stiction issue, then. You are talking about pushing the cartridge down and not the outer fork tube, right?

5. Yeah, when it's open and the outer tube is removed. The cart is really difficult to push down.

6. Filterboy

Filterboy Well-Known Member

that could be a lot of things.

What is the compression clicker set at?

Do you have the special tools to pull the cartridge out?

Do you have the special tool to pull the compression holder out?

7. Compression is half out on both forks. I have a set of stock forks just sitting in my room. Could I just swap out the compression valve assembly and see if that solves the problem?

I don't have the tools necessary to remove the carts.

8. Filterboy

If you have the tool

When were they worked on last?

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Sounds like that cart needs to be busted open and inspected to make sure there's no debris clogging the compression valve.

How many races do you go between servicing the forks?

10. Found the problem, mixed my compression and rebound settings up. Recounted the clicks and they both feel good. Thanks for the trouble shooting help anyways. :D

Cheers :beer:

11. Filterboy

Did you have that compression adjuster all in? come on, you can tell me! :)

12. :crackup:

Having the bike in the living room next to the TV, it's easy to be a few beers in and decide "Hey I better get to workin on that bike". :D

[​IMG]

13. Filterboy

Yeah, and that work shop looks nice and cozy!

Love it