1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ohlins FGR 300 and Showa Balance Free Fork Comparison

Discussion in 'General' started by loubbowen, Feb 8, 2017.

1. loubbowen

loubbowen Active Member

I'm not looking to purchase either but I noticed the physical similarities between the Ohlins FGR and the Showa BFF but couldn't find much technical information on the FGR. All that is detailed about the FGR is that they are pressurized and have separate dampening and lubrication oils.

Does anyone know if these two forks operate in a similar fashion? Showa published a schematic of their fork and I found separate images of physical cutouts as well. It appears what used to be housed inside the fork tube in a traditional inverted setup is now external, similar to a piggy-back style shock.

It would be interesting to see a comparison of dampening force characteristics of the two forks to see how well the $4600 Showas stand against the $10k+ Ohlins in terms of linear dampening. Thoughts?

Ohlins FGR 300 Picture:
    [​IMG]

Showa Diagram:
    [​IMG]

2. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Go with whatever your trackside suspension guy can work on and/or knows best. There's no point in throwing the greatest stuff on there if no one can get it setup correctly for your needs.

3. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

im not sure that pic is the FGR300. its missing the adjusters near the caliper.

Ohlins usually puts good pdf's online that u can find through a google search. in this case, seaching "FGR 300 filetype: pdf" worked great. (remove space after filetype:, silly emoji)
    https://www.ohlins.com/app/uploads/world/2016/08/OM_07280-20.pdf

are u trying to compare an OEM fork to $10k Ohlins or some other Showa fork?

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

I think the term Showlins was coined for this awhile back. :D

5. loubbowen

loubbowen Active Member

That PDF is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks! Good catch on the picture I didn't notice the discrepancy, but have included a picture of the correct fork below. I'm trying to see how similar in design the OEM Showa fork on the ZX10R and 2017 GSXR-1000R is to the the FGR. [​IMG]

6. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Who is running Showa in Motogp? I can't remember.

prospected likes this.
  7. prospected

prospected Well-Known Member

I don't believe anyone in the GP class is running anything other than Ohlins except for KTM and their WP set up. The WSBK Kawi is the only one at the sharp end running the Showa that I've seen

Steeltoe likes this.
  8. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Maybe that's what I was thinking of.

9. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I thought the HRC bikes ran showa. At least they used to, right?

10. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I think a few years ago when Alvaro was on the Gresini Honda, it was reported that he ran Showas. Not sure that was the last time or not.

11. G 97

G 97 Garth

They use to. Not sure when they made the switch but the 2016 bikes ran Ohlins.

But they still use the Pro Link suspension on the rear.:crackup:

12. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yup.....Bowling Bau was the last to run non-Ohlins boingers on the Gresini Hondas (2014 I think). The Repsol team dropped Showa for Ohlins many moons ago (2009 was their last year I believe).

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Once Yamaha spun off Ohlins there was no reason for Honda to run Showa.

Didn't Honder own a big part of or all of Showa?

14. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yup.

I thought by that line of rationale that Kawi might've owned Kayaba (KYB) but I don't think that's the case.

15. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Kawasaki or Suzuki, can't remember.

KTM (or the same group that owns them) owns all of or the majority of White Power (WP). Thanks gawd they don't use that name anymore.

16. The only ones on the World stage I know of that use it is the Kawi WSBK's.

17. backbone

backbone scarred for life

You will notice that the good Ohlins have working Comp and Reb on both sides :P

18. Sweatypants

Sweatypants I am so smart! S-M-R-T... I mean S-M-A-R-T!

man... that's like a $21k picture right there. day dreaming...

19. loubbowen

loubbowen Active Member

20. No sh$t, I told someone that once and they just looked at me with a strange face.