1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Oh no! What a tragedy at Road A...

Discussion in 'General' started by 2OLD2BFAST, Jun 4, 2017.

1. BC

BC Well-Known Member

RIP Hazel

2. Gino230

Gino230 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear about this. We lost a great corner worker and great man in a similar situation several years ago. These people do so much for us, and it's only out of a love of racing. Godspeed to Hazel.

MELK-MAN likes this.
  3. mike574

mike574 Well-Known Member

R.I.P., Hazel :(

4. Putter

Putter Ain't too proud to beg

So sad. Corner workers are the backbone of our sport. RIP.

5. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Mongo,

Not trying to be gorey but trying to understand what happened in this situation. Its been a while since I was there, but I remember the corner station on the inside of the turn. Can you provide any info. on how she was struck by an off track bike?

6. javyday

javyday Well-Known Member

Just terrible :(

7. noobinacan

noobinacan Well-Known Member

sincere condolences to Hazel and family and I wish she's in a better place now.
    she was always there...helping anyone who crashed in T7 :(

8. Phl218

Phl218 .

Rest In Peace

9. cBJr

cBJr Well-Known Member

RIP Hazel

10. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

11. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

horrible news.. it's tragic when a racer is taken doing what they love doing, but it's even more so when it happens to someone that helps us do what we do.

nhammond54 likes this.
  12. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

Saw this on FB. Condolences to family and friends. She is remembered fondly, in kind. I hope that goes a long way.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Sorry but no, I won't be discussing it.

roy826ex, TLR67, scottn and 1 other person like this.
  14. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

OK but you have track safety officials from all over the world on this forum. Do you have any recommendations or lessons learned on what we can emphasize with our safety crews?

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Not at this point no. I'm going to go over everything and if I have any advice I'll pass it on but at this point there's nothing new to be learned and nothing to be gained but a lot to be lost sharing details.

16. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

not sure if it was posted before.. but looks like her family could use some help with expenses. ..

https://www.gofundme.com/hazel-harrell

After approximately 20 safe years with Road Atlanta and numerous other car and motorcycle clubs, Hazel died at Road Atlanta, from injuries sustained in a tragic accident on Saturday June 3, 2017.
    Hazel died doing what she loved, at a place she loved, with the people she loved.
    We would like to help her family cover funeral costs, associated medical bills and other final expenses.

17. condon66

condon66 Member well known

Sad. RIP.

18. SpeedyTide

SpeedyTide 'Bama's Bad Boy

I've been doing trackdays/racing for 11 years now. When I wasn't able to race (most of the time unfortunately), the next best thing was corner-working! Being a rider, I knew to ALWAYS be alert, and prepare for anything as best I could, while flagging, tending to a rider/bike that went down, or even sitting in the hut watching my back.

I AM NOT saying she wasn't! She sounded like a good woman, committed to watching over the riders/racers! GODspeed Hazel!

19. D2R6

D2R6 Well-Known Member

You will be missed but never forgotten! Thoughts & Prayers for the family & friends.

20. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

I don't want to know the details. I'm just sorry someone that was there only to help the racers and WERA lost her life doing it. R.I.P Hazel. Thank you for being selfless in supporting WERA and our fellow racers.

MikeR, caferace, Shenanigans and 5 others like this.