1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ogio gear bag repair

Discussion in 'General' started by yokohama1, Mar 9, 2022.

1. yokohama1

yokohama1 Well-Known Member

Mice found my gear bag this winter and chewed through the zipper on my 9800 bag. Really only destroyed the zipper but Ogio does not sell a replacement zipper or do repairs. I asked about their zipper as it is very stout and obviously the correct length. I'm reluctant to send it to one of the known suit repair folks on the forum as the bag is big and will be pricey to ship. Don't know of any good local places that might do repair and the last thing I want is a blown out zipper on a repair job. I'm local in the Raleigh NC area if anyone is from this area and may have a suggestion. Or, do I bite the bullet and get a new bag and be thankful the critters didn't eat anything inside the bag?

2. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Local upholstery repair shop? They have the heavy duty sewing machines. 10 minute if the zipper is still usable.

TurboBlew likes this.
  3. yokohama1

Yeah, kind of the biggest issue. It chewed the actual zipper so it is done. This is one large double zipper that goes 3/4 of the way around the bag. Has essentially made the bag useless.

4. FourThreeSix

FourThreeSix Well-Known Member

Have you reached out to Ogio?

5. yokohama1

Yes, no repairs and they can’t/won’t sell me a zipper. For as good as their products are, their customer service lacks.

6. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

try a luggage repair shop.
    Some airport bag handler dipstick cut one of the fabric grab handles on my ogio. A Local shop fixed the strap for $10

7. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

Also check local shoe repair or possibly a tailor or dry cleaner. They should have contacts to put zippers into jackets.

Here is what I found in your area.

https://tinyurl.com/3ra4ktsk

dobr24 and R Acree like this.
  8. yokohama1

Thanks. I guess I’m trying to talk myself out of buying another bag. I have had good luck with one shoe repair service here in town but I feel the chance of them having me a zipper of equal quality and the correct length is slim. This bag gets worked hard.

9. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

Find local cop/fireman uniform shop that has a tailor on site

The boat canvas guys usually have some good craftsmanship also

R/T Performance likes this.
  10. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I would bet they wont have it in stock but I doubt its unobtanium & can be ordered. Those bags do work awesome for traveling with roadrace gear.

11. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Bet Barnacle Bill could fix it.

Sabre699 likes this.
  12. yokohama1

You would think, but the only parts I found were replacement wheels.

13. yokohama1

No doubt Bill would do a fine job but I will have $80 in shipping there and back plus repair costs.

14. yokohama1

One thing I haven’t done is try and find a a generic zipper in the right length. Does anyone know who
    Actually makes quality zippers? YKK? My Zipper foo is weak.

15. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

Yes - YKK will work for your needs.

16. sternsi

sternsi Well-Known Member

You will pay more to have someone repair it then what the bag is worth. I've replaced some for people and the only reason they did it was for sentimental reasons. I don't even repair my own bags I make, as it's more cost effective to just send out a new bag.

yokohama1 likes this.
  17. SuddenBraking

SuddenBraking The Iron Price

FYI - if you want a deal on Ogio bags, buy from a company called SanMar (you have to have a resellers certificate to get setup as a customer).