1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Odd-Ball Picture of the Day

Discussion in 'General' started by bitchcakes, Sep 27, 2014.

1. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

:clap::crackup:

2. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

There was a smell of a backstory of personal experience to this.... :D

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Nothing recent enough to make a good story nor did I ever let them get close enough to damage me :D

4. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Sand Hill cranes are supposed to taste like pork.

Big T likes this.
  5. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Well, if it comes down to eating or dying, yeah, I wouldn't think twice about it.

6. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

No, I'm talking rod and reel, using a Tommy Cod for bait.

Out in our bay is Clark's Island. It's actually where the Pilgrims landed and had a mass at a huge rock before landing at Plymouth, a few miles away. There are a few houses on the southern half of the island, but the northern half was completely overgrown with brush and vegetation. It was literally infested with seagulls. I believe it might have been recognized as the largest colony of seagulls on the east coast. If you passed by in a boat, it looked like half of the island was just white.
    Some guy bought the north half and imported a bunch of foxes. The gull population dwindled real fast and a recent search on Google Earth revealed that a lot of the growth has been replaced with open fields, and even a few houses.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  7. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

8. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Summit Point,Australia????

9. casjoker

casjoker Refusing middle age

I had a "friend" who tried the Alker-Setzer thing with a few seagulls, no luck. They were a very sad drunk that day...later that night they had a dream they were floating in the ocean. I didn't know you could piss the bed that much. I guess that would be karma :crackup:

10. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

Goose, swan and sand hill crane are commonly eaten in the more coastal regions. I think I like swan a little bit better than goose. I like them both better than muskrat or seal. I have not had the chance to eat Sand Hill crane. I know there is a hunting season for the cranes in WI and you used to be able to shoot them with rifles, but that changed a long time ago and when it became shotgun only it became pretty difficult to get within range and nobody hunts them anymore, that I know of. I think they are covered as migratory waterfowl, same as ducks and geese.

ToofPic likes this.
  11. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

12. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Well-Known Member

13. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

No, Grattan Raceway.

03RumbleBee likes this.
  14. lee955i

lee955i The Traveling Gnome

Hell, down here those damn cranes will walk right up to you. Had one steal my glasses off the break table at work, 2 ft. from me....But theyre protected here...

15. joec

joec brace yourself

Out on block island we used to have to guard the grill on the stern of the boat because the damned things would fly down and take your steak right off of it. Then they would drop it into the water to cool it off, then pick it back up and take off. You just had to turn your back for a second.

16. CausticYarn

CausticYarn Well-Known Member

It's good if it's butchered and prepped right. I've had it grilled right in the field and it is horrid before a salt-water soak and proper slow cooking. Just like wild duck - fuck that swamp feeding bird.

17. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Looks like a PhotoShop? How does Kangaroo taste?

18. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Kinda like Florida panther.

K51000 likes this.
  19. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

A little like alligator then?

OK, Back to Seagulls- wretched creatures, mice with wings.
    And yes, I do like Richard Bachs 'Jonathan Livingston Seagull' ( I liked 'Illusions' better).

When I was sailing Catamarans off the beaches, mainly in TX and Florida, these things were everywhere. Then some Fred beachgoer (non sailing) would try and feed them- now you have a huge flock of them. Never liked them in person, I'd starve before I ate a Seagull.
    Amazed me that they have them here around Milwaukee!! Fresh water and all.

I have thought more than once about using a cast net to get some Geese and Ducks around here in Franklin though ;-). Pretty sure it's not legal- haven't and won't do it though.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  20. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Tending more towards pelican. :D