1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NYC To Ban Hot Dogs and Processed Meats To Improve Climate

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by YamahaRick, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Phl218

Phl218 .

That one slipped by me.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I honestly looked for it to be the Onion...

3. lrrs517

lrrs517 Internet Investigative Officer

Meatless Mondays? Was the climate better when we had meatless fridays?

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Fish is meat.

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Pescatarians would unleash a fury of vegan warriors on your ass for that statement. :D

6. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Title is disingenuous, though it accurately reflects De Blasio’s nature and sentiments. Meat production is indeed responsible for a substantial portion of greenhouse gas emissions. The way to reduce it isn’t the fascists’ favorite method though, IE banning it with the power of the state using a moralist argument. The way to reduce it effectively is through the market. This is just feel good bullshit.

Remove state support for the inputs in meat production (read: corn, grain) and the cost will naturally rise to reflect the true cost of production.

Additionally, it’ll make newly developed methods of producing protein much more competitive and attract venture capital to the field.

Insect based proteins, artificially grown meat, and plant based protein substitutes will eventually outcompete conventional meat production by vastly reducing input costs and offering far superior nutritional profiles.

If De Blasio actually wants to do something effective instead of this feel good nonsense, he should do something to promote alternative methods of protein production in New York.

7. SGVRider

Yeah but how hard can these vegan warriors actually hit?

8. SGVRider

I’m sure he’d like to ban it. Though why would anyone own a car in New York? I’ve literally walked places faster than NY traffic.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

They would never harm a living animal.. :crackup:

10. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Show your work?

11. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Cow farts. Get woke.

12. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

So when there were MILLIONS of Buffalo roaming the earth and Dinosaurs... BIG Fkkers.. how were the GreenHouse Gasses??

13. auminer

Cow farts... which they get from eating grass... which absorbs *guess what* CARBON from the atmosphere.

It's sad that so many really smart people don't think past one level of consequence.

Suppose cows were banned. What happens to all that pastureland? Does grass still grow there, than die every winter, releasing the carbon it absorbed all spring/summer back into the biosphere? Does the pastureland eventually give over to trees? Great! they too absorb carbon, but then they die after 100-500-1000 years and release all that carbon again.

Or I suppose that we could turn all that pastureland into landfills for all those plastic straws we use. :D

14. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

What is truly sad is that one ounce of credibility is given to these doomsday hucksters.

15. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Furthermore, processed meat like hot dogs is made from “leftover” animal parts after the “good” protein has been harvested.

By banning hot dogs you’ll actually increase demand for prime cuts of meat while creating waste.

Nothing, and I mean nothing is left unused of the animal by the processing plant. Whether it’s blood, trimmed fat, skin, etc...

Hell, most ground beef comes from old dairy cows, they even go through the trouble of milking them on last time right before slaughter to maximize profits.

So when Native Americans do it, we applaud them, when today’s food industry does it its carbon emissions? Wut?

16. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

It appears you know about as much regarding terrestrial carbon dynamics as weather forecasting.

17. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

You might want to rethink your attempted denigration of his weather forecasting skills...as I look outside at the dry ground after the 1-3" of snow followed by rain failed to materialize. :Poke:

18. auminer

Let the little man have his fantasy that weathermen are always right even when they are always wrong.

It's a sad man that has to continually, enigmatically insinuate that he is so superior to others.

Don't begrudge him that. :beer:

BHP41 and pickled egg like this.
  19. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Dude! Why didn't you tell me it was your birthday?

Who gave you the thesaurus? :D

20. auminer

That's how I think... I just usually dumb shit down for you cretins. :crackup::crackup:

pickled egg likes this.