1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nutrition for the "Real World" Anyone know of some good references?

Discussion in 'General' started by sharkattack, Aug 17, 2014.

1. Chip

Chip Registered

Losing weight is 80% diet. What you eat, not how much you eat. If you eat shit, then it doesn't matter how much you work out. You will still be fat.

If eat real food, then you don't have to worry about portion control as much. You can eat grilled chicken and broccoli until you pop, as long as you are doing two a days.

If you are doing two a days and eating McD's then your going to be a fat fuck who works out a lot.

Eat big, lift big.

2. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I wouldn't agree with that. The amount of calories you are actually putting into yourself most certainly do matter. Whether they are clean foods or not, if you are overeating at the end of the day you are still putting yourself into calorie surplus. That's what a "clean bulk" is, you're eating excessive calories over your maintenance, just doing it with clean foods and not junk (dirty bulk).

Until I actually started tracking the calories I was eating (even though they were mostly all clean foods), I didn't realize I was overeating for what I needed. Granted I'm talking about maintaining a 6-pack almost year round now, but still.

3. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Thanks for the replies. I definitely need to stock up on Tupperware. I'll be shopping tonight, so I'll give prepping meals for the rest of the week a go.

Great responses, guys. Thanks again.

4. Chip

Chip Registered

My statement was a generalization. You can kill yourself drinking too much water, but you really, really have to try.

It is incredibly hard to eat too much broccoli.

5. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Probably not, but you did say "grilled chicken and broccoli". An 8 oz portion of chicken breast is 360 calories ;)

6. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

To each their own, but enjoying a good meal, unique and new flavors, man thats one of my favorite things in life! While not a model of fitness, I am not in bad shape (5'10 155lbs), I do the cooking in the fam and while the wife and I are always trying to put more veggies and fruit in to ours and our daughters plates (not doing too bad when my 2 year olds fav foods are pan seared salmon and roasted brocolli), to quote the late great Julia Child, you need some fat in your diet or your body cant process its vitamins. There are a lot of great flavors that are not unhealthy.

Granted fast food, and chips, cookies, etc are almost never in our pantry. Bacon, thats my weakness, that and booze. Speaking of which I may just go make some bacon and have a glass of bourbon.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2014
  7. Chip

Chip Registered

8. Chip

Chip Registered

9. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

What it really comes down to is where your priorities are at and what matters to you. I like a really good and satisfyingly decadent meal every once in a while, but those comprise maybe 5% of my overall food intake. If you scrutinize 90% of your diet, you can be relaxed with that last 10% and stay well within the confines of good diet.

For instance, my last trip to Vegas me and my bro splurged on a $800 chef's selection dinner at Nobu, I didn't even give a second thought as to what went into some of this amazingness.

Attached Files:

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Yes I've read all those too.

You can find just as many studies that counter those viewpoints as well. At the end of the day there is no useful purpose in overeating more than your macronutrient needs are, not on a daily basis anyway.

11. Chip

Chip Registered

I agree...and I don't think we are too far off on saying the same things. If you eat quality food and work out a lot, then you can eat a lot...of good food. You can't sit on the couch and eat a 100lbs of food, but you can go back for seconds on the broccoli and chicken.

12. zx6rfool

zx6rfool Stacks Wood

First off those food shots just made me go from 6 to midnight. I mostly agree with you, Im just saying you can make great tasting food thats good for you too, ex a light white fish with broccoli, onions, garlic, mushrooms, peppers, 1/2 tbsp of butter and seasoning (s,p,etc) stacked on the fish in a parchment paper pouch, 12 min in the oven... damn tasty, and very good.