1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Numb hands...

Discussion in 'General' started by cajun636, Sep 22, 2017.

1. Pitdad42

Pitdad42 Well-Known Member

You'll never regret it. I've had Wings and HD Ultras. Loved my Harleys but missed the GL1800 power. Some day when the boy is on his own, I may get another.

2. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Sort of. I write left handed. Everything else right. Weird, I know.

3. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Writing doesn't make bigger muscles. Put a tailor's tape on your arms and verify if your right arm is bigger. You might be surprised at how different your arms are. I'd seriously look at gear fit.

4. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

You've never seen the way I motherfuckin write.

5. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

I'm not 100% sure why, but I laughed my ass off when I read that. Well played, sir.

6. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

i move my hands around a lot on the road bike to reduce numbness. i also have nice somewhat flexy carbon bars, have double wrapped them, replace my gloves frequently, and have spent a ton of time messing w/ the hood position.

i dont have a problem w/ it on the moto. maybe there was some years ago. i tend to run my clip-ons angled out more to evenly load my hands. any change in feeling at the end of a race is from being tired, mostly from pulling the brake lever. no numbness these days.

7. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

Cruise control saved me from giving up bikes altogether due to hand numbness. Thank god

8. If you've ever tweaked your neck, that's the most likely cause. I damaged my neck and had major problems with numbness in my left hand.

Went to orthopedists - no help. Went to a couple of bad chiropractors - no help. Finally a combination of a good chiropractor (and they are hard to find IME) and yoga straightened it out enough so that it mostly went away.

I still get the occasional flareup, but nothing like before.

9. ruckusracing

ruckusracing Well-Known Member

Exact same symptoms as metric has, but left hand usually starts first. It's now so consistent that I know how long I've been pedaling (15 minutes for it to start in the left hand). It has gotten worse over the years (use to only happen pedaling and riding on the street for long periods) and when it started happening just driving my truck on trips I went and had an MRI. I have jacked up C6-7 and a fluid sac in my spinal cord at the same area (the doc asked "Have you ever suffered any trauma?". Hahahaha, I was like "Doc, I've been crashing bikes since I was 5 years old). Dr says the winglets of the vertabre are pinching the nerve that serves that part of the hand. Yoga has helped in the past, along w a inversion table and a inflatable neck brace thingy I got from my chiropractor that helps decompress the spine

10. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

When it's hot enough so my hands sweat, they swell up. I dunk them in the ice bucket to control the swelling and that seems to help with numbness.