1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Numb hands...

Discussion in 'General' started by cajun636, Sep 22, 2017.

1. cajun636

cajun636 Honda Junkie.

Not so much arm pump but numb hands that falls asleep basically. Like the kind if you are riding a long time on the road. But in a race OR if on a bicycle for a long time. Before someone says squeezing too hard that is why I also added the bicycle, because it's the same feeling

Is it a positional thing? Any supplements that help? I'm always hydrated.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Pinched nerve?

panthercity likes this.
  3. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

Bar placement, pinched nerve, sv650, too much weight on your wrist

It could be a tons of things, sometimes hydration but I would think you would notice other issues first if it was that.

panthercity likes this.
  4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Non stop strangers!

418, TurboBlew, cha0s#242 and 4 others like this.
  5. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

You stole my joke!

cajun636 likes this.
  6. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

Is this on your 675?
    I get it sometimes when I'm to lazy to hold myself up.

cajun636 likes this.
  7. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

As mentioned could be alot of things, or a combination of them cumulatively affecting you. But of course always make sure the easy stuff is taken care of....i.e. sufficiently hydrated to include proper mineral balance (sodium, magnesium, etc etc), if you're just drinking tons of water you'll be pissing out important electrolytes that need to be replaced. Proper stretching of your extremities to make sure they are loose and getting good blood flow. Making sure you have properly fitting gear, suit and/or gloves aren't pinching anything off. Control positioning so that your wrists are angled in such a way to cut off circulation to your hands.

8. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

For me it's the angle of the bars. A slight adjustment and it stops.

9. wac

wac Well-Known Member

Gloves too tight?

10. baconologist

baconologist Well-Known Member

11. :crackup:

12. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I get the numbness as well, bicycle riding or endurance racing. Not street motorcycle riding, just riding my bicycle or racing a road bike. Arm pump on the dirt bike that is gone after 10-15 minutes. I have tried loosening the glove cinch strap, hand position, and relaxing (as much as is safe). I'm just sort of dealing with it because the numbness starts at 27 minutes in a 30 minute stint during endurance, so once I notice it, I know I'm coming in for gas the next lap. Bicycling? Well, I just deal.

Oddly (or not), it's just the right hand that goes numb. I'm thinking a nerve thing. Dunno.

13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Shirt/liner material bunched up in your armpit/too tight?

notbostrom and metricdevilmoto like this.
  14. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Didn't I see you post a picture on FB of you cutting the sleeves on a cycling jersey?

What Freddie said is probably accurate. Either your leathers or your undersuit is too tight in your armpit. Same as your cycling jersey probably is. I had the same problem when I raced. Got a new undersuit and some custom leathers and it went away. When I started getting it on the bicycle, I went to a different jersey brand that was looser in the pits, and it also went away.

The sensation I got started in my pinky finger and generally spread to the rest of the fingers in order. On my right arm first, them my left. Because my right shoulder and bicep are bigger than my left, I felt it there first.

15. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

On the bike it cold be a fit problem. Also I try shifting my hands around a little bit to reduce putting pressure on them.

16. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

My right hand goes numb all the time. Doesn't matter what bike, what gear, nothing. Only thing hat fixes is it dropping it down and shaking it out at a stop. I have carpal tunnel and nerve damage in my neck tho, so there's that.

pscook likes this.
  17. Pitdad42

Pitdad42 Well-Known Member

I just had the double-take to make sure I didn't post this. Same exact thing for me. Just the weight of the helmet would trigger the pain in the neck. Thank God for baggers with cruise control. Haven't had any problem with the neck since selling my last bike.

18. Scotty87

Scotty87 Lacks accountability

Dude.

I would kill for cruise control. Next bike for sure.

19. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Are you right handed?

20. RichB

RichB Well-Known Member

I get both, but different symptoms. MC is forearm related and thumb on rhs from holding on too tight, bicycle is road bike only (not MTB even 4-5hrs) a and bothle hands going tingly, usually from resting on my hands in the goods and my shoulders push up in the joint. Both are from shoulder and nerve damage afaik, but can be treated with strength work and body positioning adjustment.