1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

NSR50 SBK Seat Foam issue

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by gluvnaa, Apr 2, 2012.

1. gluvnaa

gluvnaa Well-Known Member

All,

Recently removed the stock seat for a 1/2 inch SBK seat foam.

The seat foam installed normal - but when sitting on the bike, I feel that I'm sitting slightly higher and I'm pushed towards the tank.

What do you run for a seat and do you use some type of crotch foam to keep from humping the tank?

Thanks!
    Andrew

2. fireman343

fireman343 Well-Known Member

Why did u remove the stock seat? It seemed to work well when I had one.
    Anyway, I'm running NSF bodywork on mine and got the stock NSF seat foam from HRC. I don't think it's 1/2" thick.. That's real thick man.. Mines maybe 1/4"

3. gluvnaa

The seat just seemed to sit on top of the SBK tail and did not properly mount/secure using the stock nipples. Not sure if the nipples were wore out or if its not a OEM tail...

When moving BP around on the OEM seat - it was not stable.

4. fireman343

fireman343 Well-Known Member

SBK tail??
    Anyway, if it's the stock NSR rear tail section with the stock pad, those nipples on the bottom have plastic plugs that go into the bottom and hold everything down tight.. After years of use or taking it on/off.. They brake or come up missing.. What I did was put a pin thru the rubber just below the bottom of the seat (on the underside) and it held it from coming up and out of the hole. Maybe that will help, maybe not now that you've got a new seat pad on there

5. gluvnaa

Sorry, yes I was speaking about the stock tail.
    I just called it a SBK tail since you sit on the plastic with a seat in-between - which isn't really 'normal' for a SS tail.

The plastic plugs are still there in the OEM seat and using clips on the bottom side is a good idea.

If the foam does not work out, then I will give it a try.

From the factory, what is the gap from the tank bolt to the tail plastic? Mine isn't quite married up and sits back a little. I will post a picture tonight with measurement.

Thanks Brian!

6. earacing

earacing Race Dad

I always safety wired the seat on my son's NSR. Attached the wire to the white plastic plugs, and screwed some bolts into the black tubes that went down into the tail so I could attach safety wire to them also. It was very secure.

7. gluvnaa

Sounds great! Do you have a pic?

8. earacing

earacing Race Dad

No pics of the safety wire.

9. gluvnaa

Rode the bike around the nhood for a few minutes yesterday, getting used to it a little - but races on the 14th will be the deciding factor.

Heres two pictures that show the gap:

Attached Files: