1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Now this is service!!!

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by jon686, Jan 23, 2012.

1. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the new MINI section. My son is 10 and I promised him a new racer school if he gets straight A's. Probably go the motard route at first, but would love to have a pair of NSF 100s.

2. raddad13

raddad13 Well-Known Member

+1 on the new section,
    jon686 we have a group of mini riders here in nashville, that meets in a big parking lot and set up a little course between wera rounds for seat time you guys are welcome to
    come ride with us.

3. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Another +1 on the thank you for the mini forum. Hopefully it will help some folks get their kids out there. You planning on getting out there with your boy? Mini racing with my son is probably the most fun I've had on a bike. I'm sure a 50 year old man on a kid's bike looks ridiculous, but I'm grinning the whole time I'm on the track.
    The nashville mini guys are some good folks. You should get together with them if you are in the same part of the state.

4. raddad13

nigel I hope you plan on running the minis this year
    to, I had a blast racing with you last year.

5. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

I will be running the old XR at some of the rounds. Now that Caleb is on a 125 I have a lot more work to do in the pits. I'll look into a turbo or nitrous so I can keep up with your smoker:p

6. Mook

Mook Well-Known Member

Wow- a mini section. cool.

7. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

Not nearly as ridiculous as a 6'3" tall, 240lb 33 yo on a xr100. Brings to mind the old saying "monkey...". Well you know the rest :D

Grin factor of 100, and a set of slicks lasts an eternity.

8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Darn! I thought this was a section for just myself, Chip, Monte and the rest of the "vertically challenged" and here it turns out to be for mini motorcycle racing.

Anyways, cool.

9. backcountryme

backcountryme Word to your mother.

Awesome new section.

10. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

Nigel I think I met you at Nashville last fall. I brought my son out to watch and have not heard the end of it since. I meg a few at Tally too. Great bunch of guys and gals. I follow Mini motard on Facebook.

11. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I would suggest NSR 50's, if there is a class for them at your track. You son will learn more getting everything out of a NSR50 than he will on the NSF100. Plus the NSR is really bulletproof and very inexpensive to run. You can usually buy them for 1200-1500 and sell them for about the same. NSF's usually cost more.

12. raddad13

+1 on the nsr over the nsf, no shot at the 4stroke guys, but for a young kid the 2stroke is the way to go for sure. it will teach him if he wants to go fast he will have to learn corner speed and how to carry it. If you look at the kids riding 4strokes now, most of the started on the 2strokes learned corner speed. then were able to utilize the 4strokes.

I love my 2smoker

13. earacing

earacing Race Dad

+ 1 on 2-strokes for rider development. We only rode a 4-stroke our last season in the minis because that's all I could find in an RS chassis and I didn't want to build one. Now we are back on 2-strokes with a 125. I would have loved to go with a 250, but I'm willing to put the time and money into a 125 program because I know it will help my son to be a better rider. There are always exceptions, but I think many of the fast kids on 600s learned to go fast on 125s.

14. earacing

earacing Race Dad

Yeah, that was fast. I imagine double bubbles will be approved for superstock any minute now.

:D

15. jon686

jon686 Well-Known Member

How long does a typical NSR top end last? 20 or so hours like in the dirt? If properly tuned will they last a season?

16. earacing

earacing Race Dad

We put a new top end in mid-season. You could probably go all season, depending on how often you ride and how competitive you need to be. We rode almost every weekend. NSR top ends are relatively cheap. The piston goes for somewhere around $30.

17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

My son rode a NSR for almost 2 seasons and sold it with the same top end we bought it with. I had purchased another one and gave it to him with the sale, but it didn't seem to need it, so I didn't change it. NSR's were originally a street bike and only make 7.2hp, so it will go many, many, many, miles. Out here we can pretty much ride year round. During the winter off-season we would go to a Tuesday night special at Adams kart track for $20, must have hit that place at least 15-20 weeks in a row. Plus we ran half of one season and another entire season on the bike. Also, raced a couple of series with it.

It's not like running a high strung 125. You don't really need to fool with jetting, although towards the end we did some. They come with a 110 main and we ran it that way for 6-12 months. Then I leaned it to a 108 or 105.

Super comfortable, great bikes to learn your racecraft on, at a kart track. If you go to a big track, they would be a bit boring.

We ran Dunlop tt91's and then tt92's and they last forever as well.

18. blackbird2xx

blackbird2xx Well-Known Member

raddad13 has a great motard for sale. You should check it out!!!

19. ACDNate

ACDNate Well-Known Member

Link???

20. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Link

I hate to hear your selling it Jason, but totally get the need for an enclosed trailer. Good luck