1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Notes from an American...

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by dsapsis, Jan 16, 2012.

1. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

"This evening I would like to use this lofty and historic platform to discuss what appears to me to be the most pressing problem confronting mankind today. Modern man has brought this whole world to an awe-inspiring threshold of the future. He has reached new and astonishing peaks of scientific success. He has produced machines that think and instruments that peer into the unfathomable ranges of interstellar space. He has built gigantic bridges to span the seas and gargantuan buildings to kiss the skies. His airplanes and spaceships have dwarfed distance, placed time in chains, and carved highways through the stratosphere. This is a dazzling picture of modern man's scientific and technological progress.

Yet, in spite of these spectacular strides in science and technology, and still unlimited ones to come, something basic is missing. There is a sort of poverty of the spirit which stands in glaring contrast to our scientific and technological abundance. The richer we have become materially, the poorer we have become morally and spiritually. We have learned to fly the air like birds and swim the sea like fish, but we have not learned the simple art of living together as brothers."
    --M.L.King. Jr., 1964

2. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Indeed

3. wot-75

wot-75 Well-Known Member

Racism is the lowest, most crudely primitive form of collectivism. It is the notion of ascribing moral, social or political significance to a man’s genetic lineage—the notion that a man’s intellectual and characterological traits are produced and transmitted by his internal body chemistry. Which means, in practice, that a man is to be judged, not by his own character and actions, but by the characters and actions of a collective of ancestors.

Racism claims that the content of a man’s mind (not his cognitive apparatus, but its content) is inherited; that a man’s convictions, values and character are determined before he is born, by physical factors beyond his control. This is the caveman’s version of the doctrine of innate ideas—or of inherited knowledge—which has been thoroughly refuted by philosophy and science. Racism is a doctrine of, by and for brutes. It is a barnyard or stock-farm version of collectivism, appropriate to a mentality that differentiates between various breeds of animals, but not between animals and men.

Like every form of determinism, racism invalidates the specific attribute which distinguishes man from all other living species: his rational faculty. Racism negates two aspects of man’s life: reason and choice, or mind and morality, replacing them with chemical predestination.----Ayn Rand

4. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Back in the early 60's, MLK was a radical...today his niece said he would be a conservative. Assuming she's correct, what's that make the liberals?

5. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Idiots. :Poke:

Yeah, that's right Doyle, I called you an idiot! :crackup:

6. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

"We have met the enemy, and he is us." (Pogo)

7. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Dude, I used that quote last night in a Facebook post and some guy had *no* clue what the hell I was talking about. :crackup:

8. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I bet you get that a lot.:D

9. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

You'd be surprised how rare that is, actually. Most people just ignore me. :D