1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Not collectible but sentimental

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Outsider V6 V7, May 30, 2018.

1. Outsider V6 V7

Outsider V6 V7 Well-Known Member

Ok so after crashing my 750 with AHRMA I've spent most of my time rebuilding that bike which has slowed my progress on the KZ 550 but I'm proud to announce that I finished up my 600 dollar project which is just like the first bike I ever raced. Won't be worth much but with 4300 original miles it was worth what I paid. For the nosey folks, yes that is a real 86 limited Edition I've owned since 97, raced for 5 years and now going back to stock.

Attached Files:

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Very cool!!!

3. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

The Limited? Yes, very cool. :D

I remember those Hurricanes giving the GSX-R750s a run for their money.

4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Nice EBoz!!! You gonna be at the Brickyard in a couple weeks?

5. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Very nice.
    My 1st new street bike in 87 and also my 1st race bike in 90.

Steven

6. Outsider V6 V7

Yes going to make the Byard but don't know what bikes I'll have with me. LOL I'd always said the Hurricane was probably one of the best bikes to start a racing with. The fact you could trail brake so deep on the jello mould without getting it upset was it's strength. I'm on some other facebook groups that show racing photos from the 80's and whenever you see a rider on a Hurricane in a corner probably a 70% chance he's still got a finger on the front brake lever. LOL

VFR#52 likes this.
  7. Steve Fahey

Steve Fahey I need a new avatar

That's in great shape!

8. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

nice bike...lots of fond memories

9. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

My street sled in 88.
    Bought new in 87
    Great bike

Steven

Attached Files:

10. Outsider V6 V7

Overall it wasn't in terrible condition from sitting in a carport for 5-6 years. Mother was selling it for her son who had moved away and I rolled up with my trailer and said all take it. She disappeared inside while I loaded it and came back with the paperwork which included an original copy of the MSO, a copy of the first title and the title in her sons name. Tank cap was seized on an tank was terrible inside which took 3 acid washes before I could seal it with POR 15. Carbs were stuck but some PB blaster and my ultrasonic cleaner fixed. Head Gasket, fuel pump, fork seals, every light in the dash and some thorough cleaning is all it took. Runs like a dream and I'd forgotten how quiet these things are with a stock pipe.

VFR#52 likes this.
  11. pscook

pscook Well-Known Member

I raced a few times on a 1988 CBR600 and commuted for 3+ years on an '87. I think that the perceived 10:1 weight to HP ratio instilled supreme confidence in the handling department.

I think this was my last race on the '88 before I moved up to a '96 F3.

ToofPic, Outsider V6 V7 and VFR#52 like this.
  12. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

My 1st race at Oak hill in 1990
    Notice it was raining. Lol
    And freaking COLD too.
    I called it Spot.

Steven

Attached Files:

13. Outsider V6 V7

Those pictures and video's bring back great memories and when the F2's came out it was tough to accept that the Hurricane would no longer be competitive. Not for lack of trying oh well it could have been worse we could have been on an FZR.

Attached Files:

ToofPic and VFR#52 like this.
  14. VFR#52

VFR#52 Well-Known Member

Yep the good ole days.
    But i had the luck to go through riders school with Colin Edwards.
    So F2s where least of my problems.
    I start my streak of finishing 2nd place at end of yr then.
    Something ive kept alive all these yrs.
    Steven

15. Outsider V6 V7

As a fan of the 80's and 90's Superbikes, back when you could actually tell the difference between manufacturers, I'd set a goal to find the bikes I liked the most and restore them. So for those playing at home here's what I chose.
    1. Of course the 86 limited edition I have my original and my clone.
    2. The 87 Hurricane as it was truly a game changer in the middleweight class
    3. The 89 GSXR 1100 because they just looked so cool and are bullet proof
    4. 1992 ZX7 K model and J model I've got the K with the full Kawasaki race kit engine and the J just because it looked so good
    5. First Gen Honda 900 RR destined to be a classic. Wanted the 93 white, red and blue but ended up with the 94 black, purple yellow.

As this is a slow process trying to find some of the parts I'm slowly getting them all together. on the limited I need the right side mid fairing inner air shields and mirrors.
    The 1100 I need a right side mirror. David Hurst painted this bike and it is absolutely flawless.
    900 RR will need to add the purple triangle color to the lower and graphics for the top
    Here's some pictures of the herd.

Attached Files:

ungwaha, VFR#52 and pscook like this.
  16. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

I have a 5 y/0 with a fever we can't seem to get rid of, want to trade for the 1100???

:D

VFR#52 likes this.
  17. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Those ZX7's I would drool over when I would see them at the dealership in Decatur GA back then.... I always wanted one but couldn't afford it... Nor did I have a safe place to keep one....

boxcrash and VFR#52 like this.
  18. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

'84 Nighthawk S...the quintessential DD/commuter bike. Oil-cooled, shaft drive, hydraulic lifters...your most basic gas-n-go machine. Gotta love it.
    What's it worth to ya? :D

VFR#52 likes this.
  19. Outsider V6 V7

You absolutely nailed that description on the Nighthawk S. This was another $600 purchase and I rescued it from a guy that was going to make it into a bobber, of course after he got it running. This one had repainted but it's still a bargain commuter and by far my favorite to cruise on. I listed it for 1800 a year ago and didn't get any hits. I've since allowed the wife to ride it and she now considers it her own. LOL

20. Outsider V6 V7

I agree, I just couldn't swing that 5,700 price tag. LOL

boxcrash likes this.