1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Northeast/east coast motor builder

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Chasingstatuszx10r, Nov 7, 2021.

1. Chasingstatuszx10r

Chasingstatuszx10r Well-Known Member

How's it going? Just trying to pick some of your brains to find a reputable motor builder since I don't trust myself. I just want to refresh a pc37 cbr600rr motor with a fresh build. The motor is fine currently, although I do suspect the head gaskets on its way out. Bike currently has 19k miles. I'm willing to travel/ship. Just figured I'm about to build something alot newer so I should just finish this bike so I have a spare. Thanks for any input/recommendation.

Also side question for CBR guys
    Do you recommend I do anything other than a HRC head gasket? My main goal is reliability

2. Ducati89

Ducati89 Ticketing Melka's dirtybike

Chasingstatuszx10r likes this.
  3. mgiossi

mgiossi Well-Known Member

Oooooooo I have a friend that has a full HRC motor in pieces for that bike. I would highly suggest getting his head and cams. But he also has pistons, rods, built transmission and he is under a time crunch to move it as he is loosing his storage place. Let me know if you are interested

4. Chasingstatuszx10r

I'm definitely interested. My plan was to send everything to kws or danos but trying to source something local ish for a full build

5. Chasingstatuszx10r

Thank you, I'll try to get his input.

6. mgiossi

mgiossi Well-Known Member

You have pm

7. Ducati89

Do you plan on racing your older CBR?

If so, Ill be honest, investing in that HRC stuff is probably going to be a waste. And believe me, I love my Honderz.

Finding a well built R6 or GSXR will make your dollar go further.

8. Chasingstatuszx10r

No sir, it's a practice bike as this is my first year on track. I'd like to do the appropriate coaching and classes to try to race within the next year or so. But I also am a old man at this point and am new to this world on track. I've been riding for about 10 years. I basically have a race ready 03 including aluminum subframe, marchesinis, full suspension brand new Penske and built race tech forks. I was basically just finishing the build to have a solid bike for a spare for friends or myself. I have been looking to build a newer R6 or 636 since I've owned had a few 09 zx6r's I've leaned a bit further in that direction. I've been debating selling my street bike and due to some crazy horrible circumstances that actually occurred around 2:30 this afternoon it will be for sale tomorrow. I will never ride the street again. It's a 2020 zx10r, I'd track that but it's way to much for my skill level. I just want to be fast and a 600 is fine for me. The ZX10R has a ton of parts.
    Aim dash, full bolt ONS, light tech chain adjusters a ton more. Idk what to ask or part it out. That will be my new track bike money though. I'm definitely open to recommendations. I like the r6 but they seem to be lacking power until after 10k? Correct? Is reliability solid? I just want something strong and comfortable on track.

9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

any I4 600 wont make much torque under 10,000 rpms.

10. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Karns Performance, Mechanicsville, PA. Jason Karns builds one hell of a motor. He's honest as the day is long, and while he's not necessarily cheap (NO motor guy worth his salt is)....his pricing is fair.

11. Chasingstatuszx10r

You're actually the 2nd person to recommend him. One being at NYST. Thank you I think this may be my best route as it's closer. I'll give him a call today.

12. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Jason and his Brother Dan own the shop together. I’ve had like 3 bikes worked on by Karns and all 3 made really really good power throughout their rev range. Everyone I know that has had Karns work on a motor for them has been extremely satisfied. The end result is also a very reliable motor.

Jason is a perfectionist.

evakat and Chasingstatuszx10r like this.
  13. Chasingstatuszx10r

Ill contact him today. I hope he builds Hondas

14. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

what location?

15. Chasingstatuszx10r

Utica NY I'll travel though anywhere in the Northeast

16. DBConz

DBConz Registered Idiot

DK Motosports in PA is great and just built a new shop.

there's Markbuilt in NJ that would be closer to you

17. Ducati89

Karns is solid as well.

RoidRageFool likes this.
  18. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Most full rebuilds of an engine will likely cost you more than just pickng up a low mileage donor engine from a crashed street bike. Unless you're at the tip of the spear in the class already I would say building out a nearly 20 year old 600 motor is going to be splitting hairs for someone just getting started at track/racing.

Not trying to be presumptuous, and I don't know what your budget looks like, but when I blew up my last motor on my GSXR-600 I was able to source a low mileage stock engine for about 1/2 the cost of what doing a mild rebuild would have cost and the HP improvements you're going to see on a 600 aren't going to be super monumental. As mentioned the main benefits are going to be there for the guys at the front of the grid.

Ducati89 and Chasingstatuszx10r like this.
  19. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The flip side of that would be that if you have the money, getting a motor built with the driver being reliability wouldn't be a terrible idea. It will likely make more HP than stock, but can actually be more reliable than stock. This generally requires an engine builder than knows the weaknesses of the specific engine being built.

20. Chasingstatuszx10r

So basically I look at it like this with the older chassis. Literally the only thing I have left is the motor. The likes of low mileage 03-04 motors are a thing of the past. I've kinda been looking at it from a pure numbers perspective as far as the bike cost goes. I no longer want to sell anything track bike related. So being a strong reliable runner for let's say under 3,500 mark I'm ok with. The money is there it's more about making it a strong bike just to dick around on with as close to a 0 mile rebuild as I can get. So far I'm looking at a HRC head gasket, decking the block and replacing everything with OEM aside from boring the cylinder walls I believe he said +1mm over. I think he had mentioned using OEM 08 pistons? I was thinking about going crazier than he mentioned above. He's going to hit me w a quote later today and I'll talk to my girl about it. My street riding is over as of yesterday so I have a 2020 zx10r I'm about to list/part out for funding. To finish this bike as well as find a low mile bike to build. I'm kicking myself for selling a 09 monster edition last year with 2700 miles on it. It wasn't one of the baddest 636's but more current than the CBR. I'd like to finish it because of some personal reasons and I'm almost done. But yes, absolutely I will not be able to even get the full potential out of this older chassis. I'm more having fun during track days and just trying to learn and be a faster rider. I'd love to chance to race down the line though.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2021