1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noob - Need info about buying an RS125 with an 80cc motor

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by Noam Ben-Hamou, Dec 12, 2017.

1. Noam Ben-Hamou

Noam Ben-Hamou Active Member

Hello, thank in advance for any info, i'm very new to this so I know NOTHING

I currently ride a kayo MR125 and looking for something just a little more serious for the gokart tracks.

I'm looking at a particular RS125 with an 80cc motor in it. It's a 1996 year and has inverted forks.
    Asking price is $7500
    Seller says that most RS125 are not done right when putting an 80cc engine because the "distance from the swing arm pivot to the front sprocket".

The seller informs me the reason for this price is because a very difficult custom brackets had to be made to properly fit the 80cc motor, because if not properly done - there will be alot of vibration.

I have no reason to suspect that the seller is not accurate, but I just don't know anything about this.

Is this a good price? and is the fitment of the 80cc on the RS frame that complicated and sensitive.

Also - any other places to find an RS125 with 80cc motor?

thank you in advance!
    Noam

2. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

IMO that is way too much money. RS125/85 usually trade between $2000-3000 and most of them are done in the previous version chassis up to 1994. The kickstart boss is usually removed to help slide the motor countershaft back closer to the swingarm.

Here is one that was available earlier this year.

http://forums.13x.com/index.php?thr...85-engine-los-angeles-ca.344349/#post-5104257

Often the newer chassis is used to drop in a Honda 150R motor, which is usually quicker and the 4 stroke is definitely a bit easier to ride vs. a 2 stroke CR85 motor.

Bill from this advertisement may know of some more of these, he used to have a few of them.
    http://forums.13x.com/index.php?threads/honda-rs85.334571/

http://www.cmraracing.com/showthread.php?35823-Honda-RS85-For-Sale

Last edited: Dec 12, 2017
  3. Boman Forklift

4. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

That is a truly insane price for an RS85. I wouldn't expect to get half that if I sold ours. Additionally, the RS chassis is not really suitable for the typical cart track. The 85 conversion is more of a transitional bike to get young riders comfortable on a big track. You would probably be better off looking for a good mini moto.

5. Noam Ben-Hamou

I found a 1996 rs125 with an 85 motor.
    Seller says: "swing arm was channeled to utilize swing arm pivot bolt to mount through original rear engine mount together."

Is this a good way to install the 85cc motor?
    If so - I think I will buy it. Looks very clean and very reasonable price.
    Thanks all!

6. Boman Forklift

Post up pictures.

I think what you are saying is they put a notch in the swing arm, so the motor could be slid further back in the frame, which would decrease distance from countershaft to the swing-arm bolt? If so, I've seen that done when putting in 450's into RS125 chassis and TZ250 chassis and I would not have a problem with that.

Do you know who did the conversion?

Noam Ben-Hamou likes this.
  7. Noam Ben-Hamou

I don't know who did the conversion. Here are the photos :)

Attached Files:

8. Boman Forklift

On the very first photo with the clutch cover showing. Notice above and to the back the diagonal piece of aluminum. That is where the kickstart boss is cut off and then this piece is put on. That will allow the motor to slide further back and get the counter shaft closer to the swingarm.

That bike looks nice, is that the 7500 one you were looking at before?

9. Noam Ben-Hamou

No. this one is $2600.

10. Boman Forklift

I would grab it.

Good luck I think you will have fun on it. I rode my son's one day. It was so hard for me to get curled up that small, my right hand actually hurt for no the afterwards. All that weight on my hands and I must have pinched something? Knees hurt too, but you can get extended pegs and big boy tails that will help a lot.

11. Noam Ben-Hamou

I ride a kayo MR125 alot at the gokart tracks. Got used to it and built the strength around the knees so no more pain. This rs125 will feel like a big bike compared to the kayos :)
    Rob, thank you so much for your help and input! :)