1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Noise Limits

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by Rain Director, Apr 23, 2001.

1. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

The folks who attended the Summit Point event know there is a serious problem regarding exhaust noise. I had to take some action regarding this issue against people with whom I've never had an disagreement.

For the record: The WERA rule book calls for a 105 dba noise limit. My actions were based on the WERA rules. WERA's contract with the track calls for a 103 dba noise limit. We monitored the noise on machines running on Sunday and found everyone in compliance with the WERA noise limits. Two machines were exceeding the track limits. Those riders were dealt with accordingly.

It has gotten to the point that the sound levels are no longer a concern to just the "other" racers. It's your concern also. If the local opposition at Summit win in their battle with the track on the noise issue, we motorcycle roadracers and the racing community at large all lose. For more information about Summit Point Raceway's plans for a third track and the opposition it faces regarding those plans, (and presnt operations) check the MARRC website.

There were 55 Vintage riders at Summit. This track is and continues to draw the largest field of Vintage entrants that I aware of, save the Roebling Road opener. It's a popular venue and it's always good to see the Vintage folks there. I urge you all to keep this noise level issue in mind.

George Mood

2. schwantzmobile

schwantzmobile Byron Tucker #80 expert?

George, the sound limit problem with vintage has gone on longer than the bellypan warnings! I've heard them for 3 years, I think you could call for the death penalty for over 105dba and no one would be surprised. I like the fact that WERA doesn't "fly off the handle" at it's members like a certain "airfenceless" racing orginization I know, but I think you're being too soft on this. Treat it more like you did me at Nelsons, when I completely missed 2 checkers to end practice. [​IMG]

3. boaide

boaide Well-Known Member

Wouldn't mind quieter 4 strokes on the starting line. I can't hear my little TD-3's engine and it causes me tremendous problems at the start. Keeping it above 9K rpm while slipping the clutch is difficult watching the tach, particularly with my limited close range eyesight.

Ciao,

Fred

4. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

I don't have an "EXCEEDING THE dba LIMIT" flag to throw on the track.

5. robw122

robw122 Well-Known Member

hey george, my bike was checked during practice and i was at 104db standing still, i can repack my pipe, and i will, is this where all of the checking is done or do you also do a flying test as we pass? thanks, rob.

6. Rain Director

Rain Director Old guy

Rob-

At Summit, we perform the sound test while you are on the track. At the Sledges, Jim requests that I monitor the sound levels while you are on the track. If you want a static test, get in contact with Buford at Summit and we will do a test for you.