1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No more superpole in MA SBK

Discussion in 'General' started by redtailracing, Jan 14, 2021.

1. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

https://www.roadracingworld.com/news/motoamerica-no-superbike-superpole-in-2021/

Kinda bummed about this. I rather enjoyed these sessions. Frankly, I've kind of wished they would adopt the superpole race concept from WSBK. But logistically, I realize that would probably be difficult due to limited time slot availability. But it would be cool to see if they could find a way to make it work without sacrifices elsewhere.

2. henry_carlson

henry_carlson BREAD_RACING

I agree, I wish they would adopt the WSBK race concept. They have the time, in my opinion (as a fan). They had something like an hour and a half break and the events were often over by 4pm!

turbulence and animal like this.
  3. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

I guess you can win practice now.

8.8 lb increase for the 636.

4. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Why would they get rid of it? Cost savings in some way?

5. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

Also 22lbs stays for the V4R :mad:

6. redtailracing

That's what I want to know.

7. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Track time is my guess. Dunlop /RRW 2 up rides, baggers, heritage cup, 2 races for all classes on most weekends.... A lot to squeeze in..

8. redtailracing

Seems like from what I remember, usually between twins and stk1000, it seemed only 1 of them ever got 2 races on any given weekend. And as cool as some of that other stuff is, I can't help but wonder at what point there is an abundance of "fluffy" stuff. The 2 up rides, heritage cup, and bagger class are all cool but not actually real pro racing (that might change for the bagger class but as of now, I'm still calling it an exhibition class).

9. COOP 1

COOP 1 Well-Known Member

+ 1

10. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Assuming you are taking SSTK 1000, per FIM rules it is not even allowed in the class due to price limits, so in with 22lbs is a gift.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  11. TX Joose

TX Joose Well-Known Member

You sure about that? Don't think so.

The issue was that it wasn't specifically called out in MA's rule book as a homolgated motorcycle at the time. You know.. Because they forgot to add it. Price limit of 40k was never the issue.
    As far as the weight penalty goes.. IMO it's because PJ was too fast and they had to slow him down. I think he would have dominated just as much on a Graves Zx10 as well, but that's just my opinion.

12. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

From what I understand, sort of both. It wasn't in the initial list because that list was copied from the FIM list which excluded it based on price.

13. rafa

rafa Well-Known Member

It is not homologated for Stock racing by FIM, only for SBK

https://resources.worldsbk.com/news.../WorldSBK_homologated_motorcycles_2020_02.pdf

MA was in theory following FIM homologation, but there was confusion with the V4R being allowed.

14. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

...and in summation, these are the reasons Superpole got deep-sixed.