1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

No more “ busas “ from Suzuki

Discussion in 'General' started by ShadowBoxer, Dec 11, 2018.

1. ShadowBoxer

ShadowBoxer Well-Known Member

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

well whatever is not sold in Europe will be available for @Steeltoe to buy

3. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

A clear indication that the m/c industry is changing very quickly.

4. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Say what you want about its looks, those things are monsters and they got a whole new generation of folks obsessed with performance motorcycling that stuck around for years to come.

End of an era for sure.

5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Like every 20 years??

scottn, 418 and K51000 like this.
  6. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

All Hail to the Tail!!!

418 and K51000 like this.
  7. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

According to the article, this one was driven by European emissions requirements, which is interesting.

cav115 likes this.
  8. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Always secretly liked those things. Too bad they were just too damn large for me. Like a capuchin monkey riding a water buffalo.

Rico888, Sabre699, aaronson and 2 others like this.
  9. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Disagree to a degree that it’s a sign. Agreed the industry is changing rapidly. There was still demand for this model, just not enough to spend more money to keep it compliant. The R&D for this model and the tooling was fully amortized, every unit they were selling less marginal costs was this pure profit. Worth continuing to sell, but the demand wouldn’t support more R&D spending. Makes sense. I’d expect to see more legacy models die due to regulation in the future.

Surprised they even still sold the Busa. I used to see them on the street all the time in the early 00s to early 10s, haven’t seen one in the wild in years.

Prospect and BigBird like this.
  10. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Time for Suzuki to rock the SxS world like they did with the GSX-R. Go big from the git-go with all those paid for Hayabusa powerplants. :thumbs:

Kyle Brosius likes this.
  11. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

Very clearly says they are working on a new busa model, its just the end of the original.

418 likes this.
  12. BigBird

BigBird blah

Same reason BMW ended up putting the M3/4 motor into the M2 Competition. Euro4 is the debil it seems, at least to older engines.

13. Past Glory

Past Glory I still have several AVON calendars from the 90's

I'll miss the 'Busa. I remember that debut. Kawasaki and Honda thought they had a real fight going for the top MPH crown between the ZX11 and the CBR1100XX, then Suzuki arrived and showed them how you deal with that. You don't try to get a 1mph edge on your competitor, you crush them completely.

14. joec

joec brace yourself

That cycle world cover with it claiming 198mph.....

15. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Now if they would only do the same on the DR650

Banditracer likes this.
  16. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

I had a buddy that had one and got to ride it regularly. I almost bought one, but decided on another bike instead. The times that I rode it really made me want to get one.

17. GRH

GRH Well-Known Member

I had a 1997 Blackbird, I think my wife misses it more than me, nice bike for the street and comfortable for 2up riding

Attached Files:

Razr likes this.
  18. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

Here around Mil-Town, several people I know are still Rock'n their 'Busa's!
    A few of them have them stretched, Jack shaft/Huge rear wheel, and chromed out ever'ywhere.

A good friend of mine I've know for several years runs his in the 1/8 ( he does 1/4mile too) mile they hold on the Milwaukee mile track in the Fair grounds.
    He won this trophy this last fall!
    His bike (I think) is an 01, stock internals, 4 to 2 headers, a Power commander, lowered some, and he has a strap on the front end to strap the front forks down tight, and NO stretch!

[​IMG]

When we do twisties in the area, he actually keeps up pretty good, probably helps with the lowered, stock wheelbase.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2018
    lazlo likes this.
  19. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Does it? Just says they re-upped the trademark on the name, which is smart even if they never build another.

Would love to see them take on the H2, but if so lets hope they don't try to battle them in the ugly competition......H2 got that locked down.

20. acorn27

acorn27 4 out of 3 people in the world struggle with math

"Half-a-bus-a", "Eye-abuser".....

I'm sure there are others.