1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nissan CVT issues and any potential band-aid

Discussion in 'General' started by JBraun, Apr 1, 2019.

1. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I was driving my girl’s 2014 Rogue home from LA and noticed the transmission slipping. I know these things are problematic.

She’s also good at hitting things like parking garages and pedestrians, so it’s banged up and I’m ready to just cut the loss and send it down the road as a mechanics special.

Anybody know a cheat code for this thing? I’d like to buy a month or so out of it to give her time to get something new. Any experts here??

2. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

What’s the question?

3. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

How do you make a Nissan not be a piece of shit?

Newyork and JBraun like this.
  4. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Is there an additive, or flush, or... that can keep this thing on the road long enough to give us time to shop patiently?

I don't have the balls or moral deficiency to pass it off as an operational vehicle, so I’ll likely part it out. Just trying to get her to work and back in the meantime.

5. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

upload_2019-4-1_23-9-3.jpeg

I've used this in the past with good results.... however whats shot.. is shot...YRMV...

6. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Talk to Nissan, you may be able to get a new transmission under warranty out of them. (10 yr / 120k extension by Nissan due to all the issues they've had, many outside that have gotten warranty coverage as well.)

XFBO likes this.
  7. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Won’t do shit in a CVT.

BigBird likes this.
  8. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Find a tree to slam it into...make sure the insurance is paid up.

BigBird likes this.
  9. groundhogday

groundhogday Well-Known Member

My '15 Altima had a reprogram done by the dealer as part of a recall. I think it increased the belt tension or something that was supposed to be a preventative measure. Do you know if it's been done to her ride? I don't know if the Rogue was part of the recall. Might be too little too late to be a permanent fix, but maybe it would buy some time? Nissan extended the warranty on CVTs in 2003-2010 cars to 10/120K because there were so many problems. Mine is a little over 60K now. So far so good, but we'll see if I can double the mileage without problems.

XFBO likes this.
  10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Easier if the tree slams into you ;)

11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

You should know...

BigBird likes this.
  12. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

Use the sell it ASAP recall notice

13. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

My dad's Honda HRV did that also. Changed under warranty by the big H. CVT = caca.

14. Motofun352

Motofun352 Well-Known Member

Whoever thought putting a scooter transmission in a car ought to be fired (from a cannon). :eek:

15. masshole

masshole sixoneseven

Nissan has those readily available- they have the Infiniti badges on them and no CVTs.

BigBird likes this.
  16. FrancisA

FrancisA Are you scared?

Go to Nissan and describe the problem, might be as simple as a reprogram if possible or a fluid change. They may even replace under warranty, plenty of CVT’s get replaced. Those are your only options. None of the additives do anything for a CVT.

17. Probably a reprogram will alleviate a lot of that. Belt tension is controlled hydraulically unlike on a scooter / sled cvt IIRC being at the Nissan presentation when they first introduced those POS.

18. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Well a gas powered beaver could get the better of a large tree. :D

19. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

One year I rented a Nissain't in Denver and then headed to Pikes for the hill climb. After 4 days of driving up the mountain I was ready to put a brick on the gas pedal and shoot it off the frickin mountain. But hey we won the damn thing and beat a bunch of cars, and that of course that pissed off the car guys so I didn't curse too much on the way back to the airport.

BigBird likes this.
  20. Newyork

Newyork Dip Mode

I just traded my 2012 Murano with 96k miles in to avoid such issues. I’ve known of 2 friends that had transmission trouble at or over the 90k mark so I leaned from them not to wait for it to go...on the other hand I’ve heard of others lasting a lot longer.

I was told to flush/replace the transmission fluid to keep it healthy but never go to it before the trade in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk