1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nijmegen 4 day march....who has done it??

Discussion in 'General' started by Potts N Pans, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

2. whitarnold

whitarnold Bike #137

Not good for the knees

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

25 miles a day max for 4 days doesn't seem all that bad.

4. Trunxgp1224

Trunxgp1224 Well-Known Member

That's only 7 hours of walking a day.

5. Potts N Pans

I will let you know on Friday...:beer:

6. Potts N Pans

The heat will be the issue...10 hours in the sun while in full military uniform carrying 10kg.

7. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Never done it but spent a lot of time in the 82nd as an 11B at Bragg. I hope you've been training up. If not, you'll be sucking ass. The only way to get good at road marching is to road march.

Ducti89 and wsmc 589 like this.
  8. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

Lol, ok.

metricdevilmoto likes this.
  9. Potts N Pans

Did a 2 day march in Belgium and a Norwegian march "Viking Run" 30km in 4 hours with 16kg. They were my offical team events....did plently of rucks on my own for train up.

Heat will be the hurdle

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I'm not talking for my fat ass - I'm talking for people in shape (thinking military given the event) who do it regularly. When I was younger it wouldn't have been a huge deal unless you're tossing in climbing the hills around souther Ohio/Indiana, not an issue in the Netherlands. 10 Kilo pack would have been just the water I carried :D

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It still amazes me how quickly heat can take it out of you. I got out of the RV at noon at home today and it was a holy shit energy sapping moment after a couple weekends up north.

12. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

I remember the 15 mile road march in basic. Our drill sergeants advised liberal use of Vaseline to prevent chafing. It worked, but took a bit of getting used to.

13. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

We hike a lot. Last year we did 75 miles in 5 days in the Sierra Nevadas and Yosemite. This march intrigues me.

I also do the Vaseline trick.

14. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Good luck man! 25 miles a day is ridiculous! Mongo is high. That's going to be brutal.

Regularguy nailed it. The only training is to load up and march. Probably too late for advice, but I'd bring a bunch of socks and two pair of boots and change them frequently. Buy good hiking socks with plenty of cushioning. Bring a can of "New Skin" or something like it because you will blister.

If you're carrying a ruck, use body glide everywhere it touches your body.

Besides that, just the basics, lots of calories any way you can get them, and more water than you think you need. You should have to pee every 3-4 hours minimum.

I love all that shit. I do a heavy 22 miler every year. Last year I carried 72 lbs, and thanks to a bit of motivation, it was pretty easy, but that's one day.

Three of us did the Cellcom Marathon this year with ~40 lbs and a flag. The wind resistance from the flag actually made it quite challenging. We finished in 6:05 with quite a few stops for photos and interviews along the course.

Next up is the Bataan Memorial in March. I've heard some of the Bataan POW survivors still make it to greet the finishers. If that still happens I'm going to lose it.

Looking forward to seeing how it went. Put your head down, turn off the suck, and embrace the pain!

From the Cellcom this year:[​IMG]

Attached Files:

NemesisR6 likes this.
  15. Potts N Pans

Today was tough. 44km..31 Celsius. Stepped of at 0545 and finished at 1530 with 3 planned 25 minute stops.

Tomorrow is about 39 km and expected 35 Celsius. If i can finish tomorrow...the last 2 days should go ok.

Ruck is an Army alice pack....love that

16. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I prefer the MOLLE, because the plastic frame is light and more adjustable, but I know a lot of guys who like the old school setup.

Good work so far. How are the feet?

Ducti89 likes this.
  17. Potts N Pans

I never use tape and a 20 time finisher on our team convinced me to tape my feet. I got blisters the first day ( not sure if it was because of the tape or if the tape reduced the damage). Today was tough but better than yesterday....hot and slower pace from team members that had injuries made sun/heat exposure last long. More steps for less distance was kind of painful.
    Ready for day 3 at 0530!!!

18. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Kick ass!

19. Potts N Pans

^^^It is an ass kicking contest and the March and I are in a dead heat!! I just need to push through and focus on the finish.:flag:

I am fortunate Crutchlow is not on our team...his "pace" would be insane!! :crackup:

20. Potts N Pans

Day 3 complete...tough at the end. Called for rain and it never happened...so glad i didnt have wet boots!!