1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Night Shift

Discussion in 'General' started by Prospect, Jun 17, 2019.

1. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

So for those who work nights and do trackdays, how do you make it work? Is it even possible?

Anyone ever finished work and set out to do a trackday without any sleep in between, sounds like a recipe for a highside.

2. CBR723

CBR723 Well-Known Member

Used to at a younger age, now I fall asleep sitting at red light to long. If you have someone to drive and let you nap would be best.

5axis likes this.
  3. Never was on a night shift, but I had a wife who delighted in not letting me sleep before trackdays or races.

Keep energy up during the day with a reasonable amount of carbs. Avoid caffeine and sugar - they work temporarily, but cause a „crash“ later. Consider sitting out a session to nap. Stay hydrated - water, not soda or „energy“drinks. If you feel like you’re losing concentration (not looking through corners, forgetting basic stuff), call it a day.

Prospect likes this.
  4. 1kk8

1kk8 Well-Known Member

+1

5. raven433

raven433 Old and Slow

I work the night shift and with my schedule it makes it tough. I work 6pm-6am and work every other weekend. Would never want to go straight to the track after working a 12 hr shift.

I always take off the day before and the day of (if I’m not scheduled off already)that I plan on riding. I use a lot more vacation days working on nights then if I worked days.

JBowen33, 5axis and Prospect like this.
  6. Prospect

Prospect Hayai

Damn, guess I will have a lot of experimenting to do to find out what works and what doesn't.

7. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Good song.

8. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

I used to make my significant other drive if she could come with me that weekend. If not I took my time and slept on the way home or on the way back if I felt myself falling asleep at the wheel.

At “lunch” I would take an hour nap.

Drink a lot of water and eat healthy at least a solid week out.

Being able to sleep along the way and to get a better quality sleep was a huge factor on why I bought a toyhauler. It’s so nice to be able to just pull over and sleep easily if you have too. Also spending minimal time on “setting up” at the track helps. I have an electric awning on my toyhauler so at minimum I can just wheel the bike out throw it on the stands/ warmers and I’m good to go in about 15 mins if I was rushing. It’s all about time management.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Prospect and Phl218 like this.
  9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Didn't race/ride but corner worked a ton doing thirds. It sucked.

10. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

I've done trackways on nearly zero sleep.....not because I work a night shift, simply because I couldn't get any sleep the night before and I usually end up having to wake up around 3:30-4am to drive to the closest tracks to me.

Not the smartest idea and I inevitably would doze off a bit around lunch time :D

Prospect likes this.