1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Next....EX500 or GS500E?

Discussion in 'General' started by newbie-racer, Mar 3, 2000.

1. newbie-racer

newbie-racer New Member

In 100 words or less write down which bike you would use if u had to race that class and why. Grading on content and punctuation.

2. Tracee Polcin

Tracee Polcin Pic by IYF Photo

What class are you talking about? These bikes will fit into a few classes.

3. WERA

WERA Administrator

Get an EX. Th GS is nice but not competitive unless tweaked to the point of being a hand grenade.

4. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

I had a gs last year
    they are a great bike to
    learn on but like the wannabe said
    (by the way the wannabe is my hero)
    (lol) [​IMG]the gs is a slow bike the ex would be the best pick, you can run culbman, lightweight twins, lightweight solo 20,and you can run d super andfomula 2, but the last two you will have to run with the outdated fzr400 (lol)an sv.
    hope this helps

5. Number400

Number400 Well-Known Member

Hey again,
    Stick with the EX...the GS i believe has two valve heads and the EX has 4 valve heads for starters. Also, the parts availability and general knowledge of EX's is greater.

6. WERA476

WERA476 Well-Known Member

Go with the EX. I'm a little partial because I have one. The bikes that give you the most trouble are the FZR 400's, SV's and the Aprilla at times. Actually it's not the bikes that give the problems, it's the riders that can ride any of them as well or better than you can ride an EX. Nice thing is beating someone on one of those. Remember, an EX is a entry level beginner bike for the street the FZR and Aprilla are pretty much full on race bikes, and the SV is light years ahead technology wise over the EX. Is that more than 100 words?

7. Tracee Polcin

FZR's full-on racebike I doubt that. Gee, Chris haven't you been listening to all the posts. The FZR is an outdated machine and if you ride one you should be geeting on a newer bike to make some contingencies. [​IMG]

8. WERA476

WERA476 Well-Known Member

Ya I know you 400 guys have been taking a beating lately about the age of the 400's. You know as well as I do that the only reason the 400 was brought really to the US back in 88 was to be used as a race bike. It was a total flop from a marketing stanpoint, because most people that go to a dealership to buy sport bikes don't want it unless it says 600 + cc's and go's 155 mph. But, back in 88, 89 that thing had the frame and all to go with it, compared to the jello frame on mine. So yes it is a full race on bike from a yester years standpoint, and in my opinion is still one of the best race bikes out there. Hell I just sit back in the corner and watch the SV and FZR guys slug it out and wish I could be as fast as they are some day.

9. Tracee Polcin

Gee Chris that is first decent words I've heard in a long time about my "outdated" 400.

10. JamesG

JamesG Architeuthis dux

Another part of the equation is cost too. Since neither bike is compeditive with anything but each other, you can buy a GS for a lot less than an EX (unless its tore up or titleless) and then save the extra money for more practice days and races, building up the skill to move into the heavier classes (which is mostly the point of Clubman), or up-grading the Suzi to parity with the EX...

James' $ .02