1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Flash! If you put an open mic in your house people can spy on you

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by sheepofblue, Jul 29, 2019.

1. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

2. BigBird

BigBird blah

3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Easy to turn it off, but make sure you check it after each OS software release, as it will turn itself back on with some of the releases.

4. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

If you are carrying a smartphone and think you aren't being listened to you are a fool. Their ability to deal with recognizing speech didn't fall out of the fucking sky. They have been listening to you since they got you to put the first one in your hand.

BigBird likes this.
  5. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

But siri or lexus is even worse as people are intentionally putting a live mic in their home. No stealth or hacking required by the companies or government. And they did not even get a discounted latte for this invasion of privacy, nope this time they paid for it to happen.

6. Venom51

Ohhh I get it. People are willing to let anyone listen to them as long as they think they are getting something for free. Stupid people are still stupid people.

7. joec

joec brace yourself

I don't care if they're listening..I just wish they would recognize that marketing shit to me on my phone does not work. They should figure out an algorithm that answers that I don't buy crap.. And when a client sends me a link to look at doorknobs, it's not indicative of me wanting to buy one! Hey...look at the ads you send. .ok....now look at my browsing purchasing whatever history.. How many times in the past 5 years have I bought crap? Zero.

Also... At some point with phones now all being in essence leased, you're not going to have any choice.

R1Racer99 likes this.
  8. joec

joec brace yourself

I need I figure out a way into that.

9. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Do you influence your client's purchase?

10. joec

joec brace yourself

In what way?

11. R1Racer99

R1Racer99 Well-Known Member

So was it just recording when people were talking to Siri or all the time if it was enabled? I've had iPhones for years and never used Siri once, I just realized there was a toggle now so it's off but I don't know if that makes a difference. I'm not paranoid about eavesdropping but I'm already tired of this AI bullshit.

12. joec

joec brace yourself

The ai needs to be smart enough to not send me stupid useless shit or put popup ads an all my apps. I realize it's artificial, but it should also be a little intelligent.

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I have no idea what you do. I am an architect. If a client shows me a light, plumbing fixture, finish, etc., they are usually seeking my input on whether or not the quality is good or if the style fits the design. I am not personally buying the product, but I do influence others to purchase or not. My assumption is that if a client is showing you a product, there is a professional reason and your input influences the purchase.

14. R Acree

R Acree Banned

I also search these types of items for reference, specifications and professional reasons. Again, I don't necessarily buy them myself, but I have clients that do.

15. 2blueYam

If you enjoy your free Apps on your phone, you have to put up with the ads. Some ads will be off-target, others will be on target and others will be from Target. :D Just saying you never buy anything in the ads will not result in no ads. No ads and you will have to pay for your software just like we all used to do. If it is a app that I like well enough and use often enough I gladly pay for ad removal if it is offered.

I leave Siri on, but only when I press the home button, that way she is not listening all the time but it can be nice to set a timer, get a score or play a given song by just pushing a button and talking. As to asking Siri to answer questions, her Google-foo needs some work and I have pretty much stopped asking general questions.

16. Venom51

So you use speech to text to send email and messages..?

If yes then you are being recorded.. every time you do it.

17. joec

joec brace yourself

Nice!

90 pct of what I do volume wise is historic reproduction work. Mostly exterior millwork. They don't care about what or how. They just don't want to be fined from the HOA or city historic commission. Sometimes private private clients. Sometimes I'm a sub on a job that they can't figure out or find someone to do what I do.

I went to school for interior design.

Otherwise, of the remainder, 5 or more percent of them clueless so I get to do what I want.. The other 5 pct tell me what they want. They pay me to whore myself and I make whatever horrendous crap they want. That's what I'm doing this week. Being a wood whore dodging city historic architectural preservation peeps.

Website is waay out of date.
    Jointthenplane.com

But some random crap I do

Attached Files:

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Very nice.

19. 2blueYam

I don't use it for email, just an occasional quick text while driving. If someone wants to record and publish to the entire world exciting stuff like "I will be at the metro stop in 5 minutes to pick you up", I have no issue with that.

20. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Nice bookcase!