1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Newbie LRRS Questions

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by wickedninja, Nov 1, 2020.

1. wickedninja

wickedninja Rookie Racer

My first post here! ;)

I'm looking to start racing next season with LRRS, and I have a few questions, but some brief background first...

I'm not new to track riding, I've been riding with Penguin Racing School for several years now. Currently running in the advanced class where I've been for the past few years, so racing is the next logical step (and I can't wait!!!)

Reading the LRRS rulebook concerning licensing, here is what it says:
    LICENSING
    3.1 All racers must have a current road race (CCS) license; or must apply for a license at the event they wish to participate in.
    3.1.1 If applying for license applicants must provide proof of prior racing experience or a certificate indicating completion of an approved rider’s school.

Since I'm currently unlicensed, how do I fill out the application? Penguin offers a program to get your race license, usually during the track day prior to a race weekend. Can I get my license on Friday and race on Saturday? How does that work? If that's the case, how does bike numbering work (my bike has no numbers on it)?

Another question I have is about tires. Normally I run Dunlop Q3/Q4's which I can get through Penguin, but I want to start running slicks. There is a Dunlop truck there all weekend, can slicks be purchased right from them that day? If not how to ya'll pre-order? Also, I heard really good things about the Pirelli SC-1/SC2 slicks, where can one get these on race day (or before) and would the Dunlop guys change them at the track if needed?

So many questions, I feel like I'm starting all over again!

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer!

2. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

You do know this is a WERA forum right, and that there is a CCS forum too?

And Johnny B to the white courtesy phone please

TurboBlew and mpusch like this.
  3. wickedninja

wickedninja Rookie Racer

I do know this is the WERA forum, but there is a lot of useful information here and riders who have ridden is all different places and groups around the country... figured I'd start here since I troll this forum a lot...

4. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Kinda odd to ask technical questions about a racing org on a competitors website. Why not call or email them directly?

Same thing with the tire vendor. Typically a vendor will put on another vendors tires (for a price of course). Slicks usual have a thinner distribution channel than normal tires. If you talk to the vendor ahead of time and pre-order tires you can support the local guy, avoid shipping, and almost always have free mounting and balancing.

5. joec

joec brace yourself

I was going to post a link to the wera website and the forms page, but.....

Just take your penguin school info to registration and you should be good to go though.. just have everything they want you to have as far as paper work. You can usually get your license taken care of at registration with most clubs.

6. mgiossi

mgiossi Well-Known Member

I am an lrrs racer so here are the answers to your questions:

1- you will need to take the licence class from penquin the Friday before your first race weekend. Just sign up for the class and everuthing else will be taken care of through the class. You can race Saturday and they will give you a number. You can purchase the numbers from a vender at the track or just bring a bunch a 6 inch red sticker numbers with you. I suggest getting the yellow backround before hand and put it on your bike before the weekend to make it easier.

2- you can purchase slicks from any vender at the track. Its all about what you like. Alot of guys run dunlops. I personally like Pirelli. Don't forget you will need tire warmers to run slicks if you dont have them. Slicks are allowed in all classes so there is no reason not to run them. Any other questions feel free to ask.

Lastly the jump from track days to racing can be intimidating and feel like a lot at first. We have a great group of people who are always willing to help so never be affraid to ask anyone at the track for help. After your first race weekend everything becomes more clear.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    TurboBlew, wickedninja and joec like this.
  7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

For your first weekend, if you're used to Q3/Q4 tires, use them. Between the school, rookie race, etc, you're going to be a BUSY person getting thrown a TON of info. Don't compound the problem by also trying to deal with warmers and feeling out new tires. Save that for your second or third weekend where things will be a bit calmer.

8. mgiossi

mgiossi Well-Known Member

Also read the rule book! Front to back. You will need to do a lot of drilling and wiring of bolts so you can race. Suggest doing that before the weekend as it can take some time

Kurlon likes this.
  9. joec

joec brace yourself

I could be wrong but I thought the advanced class was for racers or people who did a ton of track riding. But yeah.... Im guessing you might hate to take the specific license school/class. Which kinda doesn't make sense. They ran both of those when I took the license school but that was years ago. Part of the class was observing the advanced group/class from various corners.

Probably want to ask them. @Johnny B might be able to add too.

10. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist

https://www.facebook.com/groups/59693011513 The LRRS Facebook page. When you apply, just use my name for reference for Question #3, saying you saw me here on the BBS. Try to really amuse me for question #1.
    https://www.facebook.com/penguinracingschool The Penguin School Facebook page. Since you say you have been taking the Advanced School, it would be prudent to contact Eric Wood through this site and ask if what you have been doing qualifies you for a license. He is also one of the Executive Directors of LRRS.
    https://lrrsracing.com/ The LRRS website. Links for schedules, the rule book, etc.

If you need to take the school for a license, you can do that on Friday and race on Saturday, once you pass the Rookie Race. (Hint: Don't try to win it, just finish.)

There are three regular tire vendors the last I looked. Biggun, (Dunlop) MTAG, (Pirelli) and MotoRace. (Michelin) General vendors are Seacoast SportCycle and occasionally Street & Competition returns to their roots.

RTFRB. While we are a CCS affiliate, we are not in lockstep with them as far as rules. Read our rulebook, not CCS's.

No, you're not hearing things. The announcer did say, "Attention in the haddock!"

LRRS doesn't have a BBS. That's why we all hang out here. :D

joec likes this.
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

FWIW I'm totally fine with any new racer with any org looking for info here. Our entire purpose is to help racers, if they run with another org so be it, still want to help them do so.

wickedninja and joec like this.
  12. wickedninja

wickedninja Rookie Racer

Thank you all for taking the time to reply! As @mgiossi mentioned, going from track riding to racing is overwhelming which is why I'm asking all these questions. I'm sure (as someone has mentioned again) after a few races under my belt it'll become easier. Thanks again ya'll!

mpusch likes this.
  13. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

First day is always a bit crazy feeling, but it's less of a difference between that and your first trackday in my opinion.

Like I always say, it's easy once you know how to do it :D

Good luck!

14. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I dont know who you did trackdays with but racer paddocks tend to be exceptionally more welcoming.
    3 things that might help you keep "centered" on a race day are a printed schedule with your races highlighted, a clock thats easily readable in your pit,and a radio to hear PA calls.
    For good measure put a piece of tape on your tank with your race #s and grid positions.
    A comfy chair & some breathing also helps. :D

wickedninja and mpusch like this.
  15. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Great points. The grid positions on a piece of tape is what I've always done. Super helpful.

wickedninja and TurboBlew like this.
  16. Johnny B

Johnny B Cone Rights Activist