1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Zealand....WTF

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Motofun352, Mar 15, 2019.

1. Potts N Pans

Potts N Pans Well-Known Member

It is ok...they are the government and they are here to help you.

2. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

I can not wait to be enlightened by the experts on how "Bans Make it All Better"....
    UtopianLaws...make for Unicorn Sex...and increase the population of UniCorns across the Globe...soon we will be over run with the lovely creatures...I'm excited by the possibilities of fortune by owning my very own Unicorn Ranch.

3. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

The people of NZ still have a wide variety of firearms available for self defense. At this point the ban is limited to a fairly limited set of firearms out of the 1.2m-1.5m or so in circulation in NZ. While I don't support that ban, it doesn't exactly leave the people of NZ dependent on the LEO for protection.

4. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Police Minister Stuart Nash said Thursday that “owning a firearm is a privilege and not a right in New Zealand.”

And here we have Americans ready and willing to give up their rights. Can't you just leave instead?

R Acree and Britt like this.
  5. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

So are you saying somehow this "Ban" will result in some modicum of "Safety" for the citizens of NZ?

I am not being obtuse..I am not understanding the whole.."Its just Assault Weapons and High Capacity Magazines (and whatever else they add into the ban)" unless there is some proof this is going to magically do something.

6. 2blueYam

I am saying that people saying "OMG! This ban will leave the people of NZ completely defenseless except for law enforcement" are full of shit. It does no such thing.

I never said it was a good law. I never said I was in favor if it. I am just calling out over-sensationalized BS from one side of the argument.

Britt likes this.
  7. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Fair Enough, although I am fairly certain I am not Full of Shit...and perhaps a full read of the Ban and Weapons Laws of NZ is in order for those with an opinion to the contrary.
    However, my definition of "Completely Defenseless" may be different than yours.

I'll help y'all out, this is PREVIOUS to This Act of Terrorism.
    https://www.loc.gov/law/help/firearms-control/newzealand.php

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  8. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

Wow, you use the declaration of independence language declaring men have "inalienable right" to "life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.” and use it for the 2nd amendment,

Entitlement....

9. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

Well, there goes the use for self defense argument in NZ as:

"may find it difficult to satisfy the Police that they are fit and proper to have a firearm

if indicates [sic] an intent to use firearms for self defence"

10. 2blueYam

Fair enough as well. I did state "at this time". If they add a bunch of stuff and ban a whole bunch more guns, ammo, etc., then things change.

I suppose it also depends on what you are attempting to defend yourself against and in what setting. I don't see people carrying rifles into churches, shopping malls, sporting events or concerts for self defense, so this new "ban" should have no impact on those settings. If you are defending against a lone gunman or even two I am not seeing banning certain rifles leaving folks defenseless. If you need a rifle to pick them off at distance? Still available. Need a semi-auto pistol to deal with them at close range? Still available.

Now if you get to the point of attempting to deal with a decent sized group of well armed and well trained bad guys, well you might have a point there. How many times have we faced that kind of threat in any modern western society recently?

11. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

SA's are on the "Now Banned List". (Shotguns, Pistols, Rifles).

"We are announcing a ban on all military style semi-automatics and assault rifles in New Zealand. Related parts used to convert these guns into MSSAs are also being banned, along with all high-capacity magazines.” She said that this would mean that every semi-automatic weapon used by the Christchurch killer would now be illegal."

Last edited: Mar 21, 2019
  12. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

No more 3 gun competition for NZ.

All of these people just had their sport taken away.

13. 2blueYam

OK, on further reading a little more limiting that I first thought. It seems most Semi-Auto weapons would be banned, but not quite all. It still leaves you with a few choices for self defense. You can also still apply for a E category licence to get around the ban. I would assume the requests for those licences will go up.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/mar/21/explainer-how-are-new-zealands-gun-laws-changing

14. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Dude, Seriously....FlintLock Pistols, BreechBreak Shottys and MuzzleLoader Rifles...it isn't dead..just slower and more smoke.

Steeltoe likes this.
  15. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

It is a floating target..and you and I both know sans a Constitutional Right..it will fall on the Governments side.."We said NO".

16. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

What exactly do you think the first ten amendments to the constitution are called?

I'll give you a hint: it ain't the Bill of Entitlements. :Poke:

17. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

I am starting to think you are a strong believer in gun control.

18. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

They should have banned Australians instead, that's what caused the problem, not guns.

Steeltoe, Photo and auminer like this.
  19. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

My wife and I were seriously pondering a vacation there.

No more.

Fuck em.

I'm sure their economy will crash over not getting the 10 or 15 K we were going to spend. :D

Photo likes this.
  20. TXFZ1

TXFZ1 Well-Known Member

What about all the Hobbits? Do it for the Hobbits!