1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New WERA Classifieds Site Launched

Discussion in 'Bikes for Sale' started by Mongo, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EddieCBR1000RR

EddieCBR1000RR Well-Known Member

Gotcha!! Thx

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

hehe +11ty

3. KBacon

KBacon Well-Known Member

Here's my personal take on this topic..

1. Fees... I don't see a problem with it at all!!! The fees are pretty insignificant... and I'm surprised there not a bit higher... Should be good for WERA!!!

2. If you look at this topic:
    http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=278075&highlight=wera
    You see that many members found WERA via the classifieds.. myself included.. I currently haven't raced w/ WERA.. but that's due to my own schedule & current $$$ situation... But I would definitely like to, in the not so distant future!!!

The only part that I don't like is that the BBS & classifieds are separate sites... I think having a different site for the classifieds will limit the amount of new people who venture over to the BBS. I'm no IT guy by any means.. but couldn't there be a way that keeps the current format (or integrates the new one w/ the old).. but whenever you post a new thread in a given section that you go through the appropriate steps to pay the fees? I understand that some tasks are just not possible/plausible... and this very will may be the case!!!

Also wouldn't mind seeing an address required... so that when you're searching... you can determine where the bike may be located. Might only list the City/State in the add... but would have the address available to the mods in case an issue came up???

Also like the idea of integrating the old into the new.. IE being able to search the current ads w/ the new format.. would save from going back and forth... and could give a little more traffic to the new site. Maybe give people w/ a current add... a free 30 day ad on the new site??? And post a link to the new add on the BBS ad and lock said ad on the BBS??? Just a few thoughts...

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  4. Want2dragknee

Want2dragknee Well-Known Member

Should have just changed to an annual membership fee if you want to sell parts or bikes. This new dedicated website doesnt seem like the best solution. Being able to check out the sellers previous posts. Join date etc. made everyone feel more comfortable doing business with each other. Now I could sign up as someone elses name on 13x and be someone completely different on the for sale site. Even though stuntlife.com is way smaller and obviously not the same crowd they tried the same thing and it failed miserably. I love this site for its wealth of knowledge and friendly people that are consistently on here. Ive used it tons of times to sell things and to me its not even the fact that it costs money to sell now it just needed to be handled a different way. Im a member on gixxer.com and I had to pay $20 if I wanted to sell in the for sale section. Something like that would have made more sense. PM's still work, you keep the same name etc. :(

5. BigBird

BigBird blah

that's a good point.

btw can the pics posted on the new site be larger? they are all quite small after you click on the thumbnails.

6. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Good call:up:

7. bluedevil

bluedevil Well-Known Member

best for sale forum in the industry.... just went to the worst...

$10 to post an ad... No thanks. They do that on SM Junkie too and the selection is ehh because of it...

PASS :down:

8. jackel151

jackel151 Well-Known Member

How about making it required to list the VIN# when selling a bike. I know some people on here will scream hell no I am not giving up my vin. People will scam me if they get my VIN # bla bla bla. If you are in legal possesion of the bike and have paper work to prove it how are they going to scam you? If you dont have proper paper work to show ownership maybe you shouldnt sell it on a public website.

Ebay has requried VIN # for years and i havent heard of anybody getting ripped off from it.

It would make it a lot harder to sell a bike with a ?? back ground on here.

My .02

9. Buckwild

Buckwild Radical

This is why I love the BBS. The most vocal against is exposed as a thief. Today is making for good interwebs.

10. snikwad

snikwad Well-Known Member

Cool. Thanks for setting up the email that way.

11. CafeRacer

CafeRacer Well-Known Member

This is my point.

To Mongo's earlier question to me, I haven't raced with WERA (only WSMC for a number of years) but I always looked at this board as part of the larger, club racer community because of its size and scope.

I understand that's a bit of an issue for Mongo who dislikes this board's providing a service to people who don't race or race with other organizations.

I get it. His job is to grow Wera - not maintain a clubhouse for us.

Except that this place *has* grown past Wera and into a defacto clubhouse for club racers and wannabe club racers around the country.

I tend to think Mongo's being a little short-sighted. A place like this grows the sport as a whole and that can only be a good thing for all involved - including Wera. But we're in Mongo's house and he makes the rules.

No matter what side of that argument you fall on, I think we can all agree the result of Mongo's decision will be that there will be less ads and less traffic.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2011
  12. markhamilton312

markhamilton312 Well-Known Member

what a fucking load of shit

13. markhamilton312

markhamilton312 Well-Known Member

pardon me. let me elaborate. if you post the make and model and vin# of your bike, be assured that a same model bike with the same vin number will turn up in another part of the country or in another part of the world. you are naive. would you put your name and address and bank details in public and expect no one to use them inappropriately. there should be a 99cent fee for stupidity on this thread, the banker would be a millionaire

14. jackel151

jackel151 Well-Known Member

Your right every motorcycle and car listed on ebay gets scamed. Give me a f#cking break. So they have your vin # big deal. Hell you can walk thru a parking lot and write down the make/model and vin of every car there if you want. You do know the vin tag is right there on the dash where everybody can see it. I guess you cover that up every time you stop somewhere.

15. RFairbairn

RFairbairn Well-Known Member

The Wera Classifieds have been good to me over the years and allowed me to make a few bucks while going through a tough time in my life that limited my ability to get a "real" job. I kept my license up to date, even though I knew there wasn't a chance I'd be racing because I thought that was the least I could do.
    I've met and dealt with a lot of nice people through the classifieds and thank Wera for all they've done to keep it going.
    I don't think anyone should be complaining about a change, we'll all figure it out and roll on.

16. Bart#72

Bart#72 Well-Known Member

I just took notice of this thread.
    I think it's a good thing.
    The only thing I would like to see like Dswens pointed out is, will we be able to somehow keep our thread that we always keep updated with our paintwork that is in the "other" section?
    I would be willing to pay a one time fee of some sort.
    It would be great if we can somehow be able to keep updating the add in the new for sale section.

Mongo this is my thread that I am talking about.

http://forums.13x.com/showthread.php?t=195484

17. dumbass

dumbass Member

Alert feature ?

blah blah blah.. I thought I was the superest whiner.

+1 this sales board. good job mongo.

Any chance at a bonus feature ? Maybe I missed it ?

Looking for a notification feature. I'd like to have a pre-determined search string and when an ad is posted with the string.. blam.. it sends me a message or something.

This place is vulture-esque when it comes to parts especially parts for the uncommon race bikes.

I'd like to be notified every time a Ducati Sport 1000 clutch spring is listed.. for example. No. not really but you get the point.

18. Cody W.

Cody W. Well-Known Member

+1 im always looking in this thread cause i have 2 sets of bodywork that im eventually going to get repainted and this thread gives me great ideas....im in ckruzels as well...if you take those down them a lot of people might find it hard to get the services...

im ok with the fee's...99 cents...what ever...its not going to make or break me so ill pay it...an annual fee would be awesome but agian...what ever....mongos house ....mongos rules...weather i like it or not it is what it is...still love the site.

19. Cody W.

Cody W. Well-Known Member

i was a site admin on that site for years...and its not smaller....its bigger by almost 50,000 members...i dont post on that site very much anymore cause there are way too many personalities involved...here...we have to worry about 1

20. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

I, too came here first for the classifieds and stayed because this bbs has good content in addition to the classifieds. I started riding track later in life (at 52) and don't know if I'll ever be good enough to race, but still enjoy the sport, and do make it to some WERA events as a spectator.

The fees aren't excessive, and the added exposure via FB and Twitter seem valuable. Let's give it a chance to succeed. I'm sure the cost of bandwidth and disc space was higher for this bbs due to the volume of classifieds. No reason for WERA to eat that for free. If the current forum headings link to the respective parts of the dedicated site, that is a good start. I hope that the "new posts" link can also show new classified activity as well, as I and probably many others look at more recent ads first when looking to buy parts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.