1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new truck purchase.. school me on diesels

Discussion in 'General' started by skidooboy, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Never had an issue with either of mine.

Either way, even if it burned off half I needed a bigger drain pan :D

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No death wobble on any of the 3 (4? 5?) Ford Superduties I've had. Granted, didn't have it on my Dodge either. I think the Platinum and HD editions have real leather seats, I know the King Ranch does. Newer KR's aren't as nice a leather as my 04 was but they're still nice.

RFairbairn likes this.
  3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

And yes it's a plug for a sponsor but I've been running the Lucas Fuel Treatment for the last year and it's made a big difference to the butt dyno (aka better acceleration from our exit by the office to the top of the hill as you get onto 575 south).

https://lucasoil.com/products/fuel-treatments/lucas-fuel-treatment

I usually don't run totally empty and put half a quart in each tank. Edited to add each of my tanks holds 70 gallons and I'm usually putting 40-50 in them :D

4. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

made the deal 2017 gmc sierra 2500hd with the duramax. I have a diablo tuner for my gasser, and like it. does anyone have a preference on tuners? ;) not looking for huge blow the engine up power, looking for fuel economy, and towing tunes, and ease of use tuner hardware/software. pick the truck up on Monday. Ski

t11ravis and roy826ex like this.
  5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

Good choice Ski......congrats.

skidooboy likes this.
  6. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

EFi live from a reputable tuner. Look it up on a Duramax forum and you’ll find some info really quickly.

7. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Congrats on the new truck. Please post up lots of pics when you get her!

Ducti89 likes this.
  8. Ducti89

Ducti89 Ticketing Melka’s dirtbike.....

What Shark said!

9. Ducti89

IMG_2841.JPG

After an oil change, pour that where the oil goes into the engine.

10. moto316

moto316 Well-Known Member

Everyones going with the ez lynk tuning package available from several tuners (ppei, xdp, etc.) I've got one on my deleted LML and love it. No need to email your tuner asking for new tunes https://www.ezlynk.com/

11. assjuice cyrus

assjuice cyrus Well-Known Member

Use good fuel filters and a good fuel additive. The fuel system seems to be the weak link on all the new diesels even in the big trucks.

12. skidooboy

efi lived looks complicated. I need diesel tuning for dummies. :D seriously! Ski

13. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

For the price I'll give that a try. I have a flaky injector on my 6.0 and Archoil ar9100 has been the thing that has worked best with it. RevX did fair, the others did pretty much nothing.

14. DWhyte91

DWhyte91 Well-Known Member

It’s just a tuner you plug in and load a map from. Buy it from a good shop and it’s already loaded ready to go.
    That ezlynk system looks like the newest greatest way to tune though.

15. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

So I'm admittedly not very knowledgeable about big diesel stuff, but it seems a little ridiculous to me that you need to add stuff to the oil, and to the fuel every fill up to keep shit from breaking... do they not just make good oil and good fuel? I feel like between that and DEF your price per gallon is a ton higher that it already is...

16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You don't need to add anything. You can if you like.

If you leave any of the current diesels alone and just fuel up and change the oil and other filters just like any vehicle they'll last forever and work great the entire time.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  17. skidooboy

what is a good duramax forum. the efilive is NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS. HOLY SHIET! cant even find a price on the eztynk, so it must be more. LOL!

the last diablo was 329.95 Ski

18. Ducti89

High pressure fuel pumps and injectors are really really expensive.

Do you have to do it all the time? Nah.

19. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

http://www.dieselplace.com/

20. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Yeah, and the problem is that when the HPFP fails, it takes out a good bit of everything downstream as well. Sometimes the whole engine is toast. The fuels are not as good here as in Europe. They don't have as much lubricity. Bio-diesel is better in this regard, so adding 5% of that or so isn't a bad thing. I usually don't have access to bio-diesel so I usually put in some additive every other fill up. Fuel econ seems to go up a bit, but nothing I have scientifically tried to prove out.

Ducti89 likes this.