1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Top Gun Trailer

Discussion in 'General' started by fastedyamaha, Jul 18, 2019.

1. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Other than the flying scenes, rest of movie looks like dogshit. Are they really going to just recreate the volleyball/piano bar/motorcycle-runway scenes just verbatim?

So tired of Hollywood recycling EVERYTHING.......

2. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

Well guess who plays Bluntman in the flick..........none other than Iceman himself.

[​IMG]

3. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Yes they are. It's all they can do.

Those scenes are what will bring in the OG crowd from the 80s.

The flying scenes will bring in the younger crowd cause they only care about the action.

No one gives a shit about story lines.

4. speedluvn

speedluvn Man card Issuer

Wait a minute! The F-15 was still being developed in the “hey-day” of the F-14. Then soon afterwards the F-15 was breaking all sorts of altitude records. It’s also appeared that the military was making a change to a single pilot and dropping the radar operator. That move could have been made due to improved defense systems of the “newer” planes but I’ll defer to the experts who can validate the above.

5. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

I would have thought the SR-71 would have held the altitude records, but maybe they were still classified, so not "official".

6. Mattinrsm

Mattinrsm Well-Known Member

My understanding is the F15 came out in the mid 70's and was updated in the late 80's.

Looking at a comparison chart, to the F14, they seem pretty similar. But I'm not a pilot, I just hung around with a lot of Air Force pilots in the 80's when I was in Colorado. The reasoning I remember from them fro liking the F15 was faster speed, longer range, and the ability to shoot crap down from further away.

The other thing that's probably worth noting is one was a Navy plane, and one was an Air Force plane, so they may have had some bias there.

speedluvn likes this.
  7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

My buddy was the back seater in an F14 and his plane is up at Udvar.

He qualified on a few planes (I forgot what all he listed) but took the backseat in the F14 because he couldn't qualify for carrier landings because of his eyes.

8. speedluvn

The F-14 was also a larger plane. The F-15, as well as the F-14, underwent model upgrades, like bigger and more efficient engines as well as other improvements to sustain their service life.

The F-14 was decommissioned in 2006.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Iran still flies 'em when they can get spare parts. :D

10. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

speedluvn likes this.
  11. speedluvn

I betcha that sucked for him. I hear it’s a very competitive process to qualify for fighters.

I also didn’t like the competitive process plot in the original movie but I guess it was necessary for an interesting movie. Top Gun school is /was (is the school still in existence?) always a learning environment. You took what you learned from Top Gun back to your squadron and disseminated that information to make the squadron better.

12. Ganja Dude

Ganja Dude Well-Known Member

I always knew you weren't such a bad guy and wanted to burn one with me!!!

Quicktoy, Sabre699 and Mot Okstef like this.
  13. speedluvn

How?

14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

I added a link

15. speedluvn

Not in this thread . . . I’ll wait. :Poke:

16. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

Yes, I added it to the post above.

Quicktoy and speedluvn like this.
  17. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

Sweet! Already done talking about a cheezy reboot of a cheezy movie by page 2. Yall rockin' it today!!!:D

18. speedluvn

I wonder how many Tomcats got through before the legislation started?

19. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

Not to mention the Navy didn't use F-15's right?

They are talking about the new F-15X project now giving the ol' Eagle a facelift of sorts to make it more 21st century.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/b...5x-should-make-f-35-fans-really-nervous-46422

20. Funkm05

Funkm05 Dork

My assumption is that those were flashbacks to the original. It was clearly “Goose” playing the piano, which we know isn’t an option for this one. But the runway scene ... yeah, that’s being recreated. But with a more betterer bike. :D