1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

new to track days

Discussion in 'Track Days' started by vdub 2.0, Jan 5, 2011.

1. vdub 2.0

vdub 2.0 Well-Known Member

i have had my bike for a year now, i am looking to get it out on to a track this year hopefully a few times, but i am new to this so can you guys please give me some information? i am looking into getting my suit, gloves and boots soon but i dont know how to go about signing up for a track day and my next question would be should i go in as novice or go to a track school? im right out side NY city so the closest track is NJMP

2. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

There's a bunch of good clubs in your area that offer instruction for first-time track riders. I do some coaching with Absolute Cycle, so I'll use them as an example - go to their website where you can either sign-up online (it'll have a calender, fees, etc) or get their phone # and call them directly to book your day. Sign up as a 'first-time rider' and you can take the trackday intro school which is included for free. I highly suggest you go this route, at it'll make you first track experience more entertaining then nerve-racking and you'll have much more fun in the long run :up:

3. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

IF you want to ride at NJMP, check the track website for schedule, then see what trackday organizations have dates there.

Go to the organization's site, where you can read up on the org's requirements, rules, etc. (they each are a bit different), and where you can register for that org's track dates.

Sign up and go ride. Keep your ego in check, have a great day, and enjoy the smile that won't leave your face for a few days after you ride track.

4. vdub 2.0

exactly the kind of information i am looking for thank you, i know im far from being a pro but i have burned the rear arrows off my tires but i would love to get some instruction on an actual track to get the fronts down and in a much safer environment, i am defiantly interested in a school and i wont have to be worried about being in the way of all the other riders

5. vdub 2.0

will all these clubs be at the NYC bike show in two weeks?

6. bergs

bergs Well-Known Member

IMO, the biggest thing is don't go into it expecting to drop a knee or incinerate a set of tires on Day 1. Consider your first few trackdays a time to hone your body position, create new GOOD habits and proceed from there. Concentrate on ride craft rather than speed.

If you have the option, it is highly recommended you particiapte in some kind of New Rider program at least for your first day.

Above all, stay within your limits so you and your machine make it home in one piece.

Good luck out there and welcome to your new addiction.

7. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

There are typically a couple. They'll promise the world too! :up:

8. vdub 2.0

good information but yes i know i wont be out there dragging knee, or being sped racer, my goal is to learn the fundamentals and work my way up over time,

9. Bimmerx2

Bimmerx2 New Member

What he said...

And definitely go for an organization that has a focus on teaching you the skills for the track.

I did my first track day last year and did another half-dozen or so through the summer. One guy told me that no matter how 'good' of a rider you are you should expect to just plain suck on your first track day. I did the Novice group which had a lot of instruction and felt like I did OK and rode within my limits (but still scared the hell outta myself a couple of times). If someone were to ask I would have said I was "this close" to dragging a knee in every corner - then I saw the pic's of myself and it looked like I was out for a Sunday ride to Starbucks... :eek:

[​IMG]

That first day was kind of nerve wracking with all of the newness and just trying to not look like a total dork by doing something silly like going out with the wrong group or not having something on my bike prepped correctly. But it was totally a blast for the same reasons.

By about my 4th trackday (all in the Novice group and classes between every session) I was at least "looking" like I was trying - mostly because I'm slowly getting the basic skills ingrained into my technique. I'm nowhere close to being fast but at my age I'm more into it for the fun and learning than to bust any track records.

[​IMG]

10. HondaGalToo

HondaGalToo Well-Known Member

Not all of them, but a few.

The trackday orgs in our area to check out via their websites are, in no particular order:
    NESBA www.nesba.com
    Absolute Cycle www.absolutecycle.com
    Tony's Track Days www.tonystrackdays.com
    Team Promotion www.teampromotion.com
    Sportbike Track Time www.sportbiketracktime.com

All the club's schedules are tentative, and subject to change at this point. The NJMP dates on NESBA's sites are probably pretty solid. Absolute and Tony's NJMP are finalized as well as TPM. STT doesn't have their eastern dates up yet.

All of the orgs will have information on their sites with regards to required gear, bike prep, and what to expect from the day. They also have online forums where you can introduce yourself and ask questions not answered elsewhere on the site.

I'd lean towards Absolute or Tony's for a first-time track rider. Then, NESBA all the way! You'll get a lot of different opinions about what's the "best" club. They all have their pros and cons. Another option is to go and observe a day with each club, that doesn't cost anything. It would be ideal to ride with each, but they all have membership fees and that can add up. Although, I think at some of them, you can ride as a guest for a bit more money.

Welcome!

11. Lazarus

Lazarus SwaggaByLaz®

I'm going to send you a PM. I know alot of guys in NJ that does track days, you could hook up with one of them as its best to go with someone your first time around.

Hey Bimmer on the RR you have to unplug your headlight. I found that pulling the fuse wouldn't allow me to start the bike so I just unplugged my headlight.