1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New to track days, after 10 years I'm done riding street.

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Chasingstatuszx10r, Jun 21, 2021.

1. Chasingstatuszx10r

Chasingstatuszx10r Well-Known Member

Hey how's it going all? Hoping to gain as much knowledge from all of you as humanly possible. A little background I have been riding motorcycles realistically since I was a kid starting as back as a pw50. (I can't believe they still make that bike) but street bikes since I was 23, now I'm 33. Anyways, as the title states I'm currently at a cross roads where I'm kinda over riding the streets. My buddy introduced me to NYST and it's over. So looking for some insight from some of you who were in my position once upon a time. My current stable is a 2020 ZX10R it's far from stock. 200rwhp outfitted with some track goodies but nothing serious. It's still my street bike. I have brought it out on the track and it was a riot, but I bought a purpose built 2001 sv650 with a +2mm full motor build from spears racing with 3 sets of body work, extra clip ons, rear sets, wheels. I got a hell of a deal from someone looking to get out of racing. It also has a LifeProof race generator/total loss system that caught me by surprise since my first track day I figured a trash inverter would run a tender and my warmers. So that's the plan for this upcoming year is to work on being smooth and visiting a few other tracks on the north east.

Also, on a side note....a week after I bought the SV a 04 cbr showed up for a price I couldn't refuse. Soooo now I have been working on building that. Plans include 05+ front end and swing arm. Carts for 200 lbs rider and a penske or something equivalent. Here's my question about that chassis. If the plan is to build that as a spare bike is it worth building for track purposes? I see in the classified alot of r6, sv, zx, and 07+ cbrs not so much the older models. So questions am I wasting my time and money w the cbr? Also do you guys buy pretty much all your parts through the forum? I've just noticed the discount by stg? Which now I'm kicking myself for since I've literally only spent money with them. Lol ohh well I wasnt racing so no harm no foul. Just nervous I'm to old to be out riding track now lol I don't think that would be the case at 33....thanks again for your time and cheers-James

2. mpusch

mpusch Well-Known Member

Hi James,

I can't really help with your CBR question, but welcome to the sport/forum.

STG is an awesome company run by Brian, who actually races. Personally, I get parts from STG and the WERA classifieds forums most of the time, along with eBay/Revzilla/Riders Discount as needed.

Get over to Pittrace when you can.

Chasingstatuszx10r likes this.
  3. Chasingstatuszx10r

Thank you, I hope to learn as much as I can soak up off of everyone. I literally am trying to if anything just become a better rider while being safe. I don't care if I'm the fastest guy out there but I would like to try my hand in a few races. I'm trying to keep a extremely open mind and just learn learn learn....everyone at NYST has been so damn helpful. Seems like track riders in general are apart of a amazing crowd. Hopefully, I can hang my helmet with the best of y'all soon.

4. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I raced an '04 and an '09 CBR back in the day. The 04 is a tank compared to the later 07+ model, with terrible aftermarket support because it didn't last long. You can buy an 07+ with full suspension and all the track bits for ~$3000. IMO, don't waste your time or money on the 04.

All my OEM parts are usually from eBay or dealers that price match. Race parts I buy from RidersDiscount or from vendors in Europe for better prices. Suspension parts come from reputable tuners that will put their best setup in it for no extra cost. Buying suspension from a retailer and installing it yourself is worthless for fast people.

Chasingstatuszx10r likes this.
  5. Chasingstatuszx10r

That's exactly what I was looking for information wise honestly. Thank you a ton. Do you suggest staying and getting more comfortable on the sv?

6. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

You are a long way from too old. I started track days at age 40 and I am still out there at 54 now.
    That CBR isn't a great track bike but would be OK for a backup bike to your SV. Don't throw a ton of money at it. If you can get the 05+ front end used, and a decent used aftermarket shock then set the suspension for your weight that would about as far as I would go. I would say sell it and buy a track prepared bike with a stock motor so when that +2 motor is down for maintenance / repairs you have something to ride. At a minimum, you will want to check the SV valves fairly regularly on it at least until you see how fast they go out of spec.

7. Chasingstatuszx10r

Yeah, there is 125 hours on the build so far and he checked valves before I purchased it. He said it shouldn't need a refresh until next season but I can see myself checking them withing the next month or so so I'm not thrashing this motor. He did tell me if I wanted to avoid valve issues not to downshift high in RPMs etc. I do want to give it a once over internally though for sure soon. Are these built motor pretty resilient otherwise?

8. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

I recommend you spend all your money on trackdays, tires, and coaching. Doing so with riding the SV is probably a good choice.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2021
    TurboBlew likes this.
  9. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

+1... closed course is where its at.
    So much so it blows my mind to see a newer Zx10 or R1 or GSXR or CBR on the street. But I dont live near any mountain roads either.

10. Chasingstatuszx10r

Yeah, now I don't know what I want to do with the 10R. It's been my street bike since last year obviously, before that a fully modded 16 10R. I want to sell it since I don't plan on street riding anymore...I'm pretty serious. And then the fact my gf has a bike and wants nothing to do with the track. She rides because I ride I think... Idk it's literally just a emotional thing. Feel like if I sell it I'll regret not having a bike for the rare occasion I do ride street. Also, I'm making due this year, but a season pass is in the cards for next year. Thank you for the info you guys have shared so far, you have 0 idea how grateful I am.

11. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

It can vary a lot on exactly the build and what is in it and sometimes just plain old luck. If the valves are stock and not oversized that helps a lot. Lightened rotor and sprag / starter clutch help keep the crank alive (you are total loss, so probably a good sign on this). Good quality aftermarket rods will help a lot if over 80HP. Keeping it under 90HP will help the crank live. Lots of other variables. Spears has a pretty good reputation, but that doesn't mean they won't build a grenade if that is what the customer asks for / has the budget for.

12. Chasingstatuszx10r

Yeah, he did say Carrillo rods and I think je pistons? It's definitely a well sorted bike. Although, I am chasing a weird issue with the quick shifter it's a translogic f series. Currently, when it has the fuse out (I pulled it out) everything works fine. If it's in, drop the bike into 1st and it shuts the bike off. Can't even start it, I was thinking about maybe it having something to do with the kickstand elimination...just haven't had time to dick with it. It will try to turn over forever and never will though. It's weird.