1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Orleans suggestions?

Discussion in 'General' started by Kev59, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Kev59

Kev59 Well-Known Member

You guys had some good ones for Hawaii, how about this one? It's gonna be me, my wife & 18 y/o daughter. All I've been told is we're staying "near" the Superdome are.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

NO has been discussed here a few times and there are some great suggestions and what to do on them. :)

pjzocc and In Your Corner like this.
  3. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

Mothers for breakfast
    Acme oyster company for grilled oysters
    Tropic isle for large hand grenades, no ice

Rinse, or puke depending on hand frenade count, and repeat

4. Jon Wilkens

Jon Wilkens Well-Known Member

Stay out of Gretta... high crime.

Do a few graveyard tours, they are spectacular and very unique to NO.

Go see the French Quarter and check off the box...it's not all that IMO. A bit skanky and dirty...unless you dig that sorta stuff and like shitty bars.

Airboat tours

Book during Jazz Fest...great music!

Get off the beaten tourist path and seek out some local eateries.

Eat some beignets at Cafe DuMond...you won't be disappointed.

Just tour the city to view the unique architecture and lifestyle.

5. gpz11

gpz11 Well-Known Member

I'd say skip the beignets at Cafe DuMond, they're just donuts. Nothing special, I was VERY disappointed when I had them since everyone hyped them up so much.

Captain's Palace was good for dinner.

6. nlzmo400r

nlzmo400r Well-Known Member

**Dinner**
    If you're looking for a great 'fancy' dinner out - Gallatoire's is hard to beat. Love the shrimp & grits. Make sure to bring a sportcoat/jacket!
    Commanders Palace is really good, maybe a little overpriced - get the turtle soup.
    Dragos is my preferred charbroiled oyster place
    Mothers..really dont know WHY this place has a line out the door. The sandwiches aren't great. They rest on the name in my opinion.
    Pascal Manali's uptown - a staple for good reason.
    Le Petit Grocery on magazine st.
    Bacchanal - great wine and small plates. Live music on weekends, outdoor seating.
    Atchafalaya on Camp st.

**Brunch**
    Ruby Slipper is really good. The one off Canal is so busy though. Do yourself a favor and hit the one in midcity.
    Riccobono's cafe in riverside/tulane area. Nice and quiet place, cheap and good. A nice starting point to the day as you're close to the streetcar tracks if you want to do the whole 'st charles' thing.

**Lunch**
    Rumhouse on magazine - Carribean food that is AMAZEBALLS. Seriously, nachos are legi. Chili-glazed shrimp tacos. Great place, great atmosphere and a fun bar to hang at too.
    Superior Seafood on st charles.

**After dinner drinks**
    If you're looking for somewhere for you and your wife to have wine - Delachaise on Maple St. Uptown is really good. Nice little outdoor tables and lighting.
    Bacchanal - see above
    Whiskey bar - I like "Barrel Proof" on magazine st.
    Balcony Bar - magazine st.

**Music/Fun**
    Frenchman St. - done, best live music. Snug Harbor, Maison, Blue Nil etc, all good places with great bars and some food. Good music.

Finally - !!!!!Don't go to Bourbon. There's nothing of any substance there. It's gross/terrible and full of drunks. Oh, and don't drink "hand grenades", it's 95% sugar and will make you sick. May as well drink vodka and simple syrup. Disgusting. People who visit here act like they've been denied alcohol their entire lives and think handgrenades are awesome. Nothing good comes of it - you've been warned.

Oh - fun stuff for an 18yr old girl...hmmmm. not much here for that other than maybe lots of boutique shopping on magazine street. WW2 museum is really cool if she's into that kind of stuff as well. Enjoy your time!

7. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Well-Known Member

I'll 2nd frenchmen St , the outdoor market at night is amazing.