1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New old Vintage racer

Discussion in 'General' started by Happytrack604, Aug 11, 2000.

1. Happytrack604

Happytrack604 Well-Known Member

Hi there fellow Vintageers! I've had the honor of being able to race with you guys in V5 with my GS500E. I don't really understand why a potentially 2000 year model GS can be run as vintage, but I'm happy to play with you as long as I may.
    I met many of you at last GNF and have raced with you at Kershaw and Roebling.You are a very special group within this great WERA organization and I personally appreciate the effort you put into keeping these wonderful old machines alive.
    I have just taken on a real vintage bike just so I can get into V4 acceptably. It is a 80's? Cagiva. I don't know much about it yet,or if I'm spelling it right, but I'll keep you posted on progress. It runs, it has a few race-purpose bits, but it needs "the Touch"
    Any input on this brand of monster will be appreciated! Rob Church Novice 604

2. boaide

boaide Well-Known Member

<<I've had the honor of being able to race with you guys in V5 with my GS500E. I don't really understand why a potentially 2000 year model GS can be run as vintage, but I'm happy to play with you as long as I may.>>

In V-3 at CMP I diced with what appeared to be be a brand-new bike like yours (or a brand-new Kawasaki) that was racing in another (higher) class (same race) the RD kept up and I was able to pass him the first half of the race but as is usual with an A/C 2-stroke you have to build up a lead at the beginning of the race that will hold up at the end of the race when you are 18-20% down on power.

Point is, WERA Vintage is not as anal as AHRMA (I am in AHRMA too) and as long as there are not 20-30 MPH speed differences allowing newer bikes to compete makes it interesting.

Ciao,

Fred

3. Greg Gabis

Greg Gabis Slow Traffic

Happytrack 604 said:

I don't really understand why a potentially 2000 year model GS can be run as vintage, but I'm happy to play with you as long as I may.

Is a model year 2000 GS500E really a new bike? Sure, it has new parts, but the engine hasn't changed since '89, and only a few minor changes that have little to do with bike performance have been made to the bike since then. If I'm not mistaken, the basic engine design is just a bored out version of the GS450 from way back (I'm only 29, age is all relative).

So, if one considers that one can replace the original worn out or broken parts on one's V5 bike with brand new parts, isn't that kind of the same thing?

Anyway, I'm so slow on my GS500E, last is still last regardless of model year [​IMG]

Greg Gabis
    #223 Novice

4. Bruce Brown

Bruce Brown Well-Known Member

Hey Guys,

Nice to know that a few smart & frugal racers are still out there on GS500's. Vintage, yeah. The GS500 started life as a GS400 way back in the mid-70's I believe. Here's a link to a FAQ on the GS line of little twins http://www.eurospares.com/gsfaq.htm I raced GS500's in 98 & 99 with WERA & AHRMA. Sad, but I sold my GS's to go MZ Skorpion Cup racing with AHRMA.

Bruce Brown www.evilpumpkinracing.com

5. wera122

wera122 Guest

[​IMG]

Good thing you didn't go to Roebling. You would have crashed too. It was almost as bad as Kershaw in April.

6. cb500

cb500 long hair hippie freak

the sad thing it was DRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. wera122

wera122 Guest

The heat must have gotten to some people as there was more contact this past weekend than in a season of NASCAR racing.

8. robw122

robw122 Well-Known Member

maybe we could do 300 lap races too.(like nascar) then we could all drive around for the first 290 laps and then race for the last ten. i wonder if that would fit into the saturday schedule. [​IMG] rob.

9. wera122

wera122 Guest

Hell, let's just call it Solo Saturday and run a big 6 hour race, no class limits, whoever runs the most laps wins.

Talk about carnage! [​IMG]

10. td930

td930 Well-Known Member

now that's the craziest thing i've ever hurd
    :groucho face:

cerealousy that'd be fun..
    but then 'ol man [​IMG]Kinsey would show up and do everybody in...he's the marathoner amongst moterbyke types [​IMG]