1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New Novice Racers

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by mag, Jan 15, 2011.

1. davis2480

davis2480 Blake Davis's dad #122

I will be there on an 03 SS SV650. I got liscence at Summit in October. Running Formula 2, LWT SS, and DSS. And Lightweight solo on Sat. Calling for rain on and off should be fun.

2. STEEZO

STEEZO Well-Known Member

I sent my application in on Tues. Just checked wera.com, and I'm listed!!! BOOM!!! Prov Novice here, on an sv650 planning on running LWT SS and Formula 2. Aiming to making my racing debut at the Jennings round in May

3. foster

foster Well-Known Member

I just signed up for the Roger Lyle race school April 1st at Summit! Hoping for good weather but its probably going to still be pretty cold. Any other nOObs that want to pit together give me a shout.

I'll be running my 750 in, HWT Solo, B SS, SB.

4. hotnail

hotnail Well-Known Member

For all you new racers.....PLEASE listen to all the experienced advice on the beeb and start on a smaller machine. Trust me, you will have just as much fun, hell probably more fun to be honest with you and you will be SO MUCH further along at the end of the season. Learing on a liter bike can spell trouble imo. I still race a second gen. SV and Im having the time of my life and I have no intentions of moving to a bigger machine and this will be my 5th season. I've just seen bad things all to often early, when guys watch to much TV and start on high powered machines! Good luck and be safe out there!

5. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

:stupid: great advice:up:

6. Bunghole

Bunghole Well-Known Member

:stupid:Have to say, this is very sound advice:stupid: With a smaller bike you can learn to race (learn the lines, work on body position, brake points, accel points, trail braking ect ect) other than just learn to hold that sucker on the track.

Also only one guy said anything about doing a Solo; seat time, seat time, seat time! Good practice, plenty of time to learn the track. it will cost you 50 bucks for Sat. practice and 75 (i think) for a solo that comes with Sat. practices, more bang for the buck! Unless you're doing the school on Sat. then you can't do the Solo. Also everyone always seems to skip the SB races and do the F2/F1 stuff. Very few people have a Formula or SB race bike only. Most guys run a SS bike so they can do as many races (seat time :) as they can. In other words, 90% of the grid will be the same guys you raced with in your SS race...

Cya at VIR :up:

7. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

Highly changeable, even on the same day. I remember waking up in the room overlooking T4 one morning a few years back when the whole track was white with frost and it was about 28F. Six or eight hours later I got a sunburn.

8. hotnail

Plus, nothing feels better than getting fast on your SV and then going back to a track day and passing all the liter bikes and 600's while riding through turns.....it especially drives them nuts when your riding with one hand and waving as you go by! I swear I've actually seen the smoke coming from their helmets as they pass me going down the straights!

I'm a riding school instructor with the club I race in and it blows me away when I see the look on my students faces when the see me on an SV and their riding their 2010 R6 that just came off the showroom floor. Heck, you should have seen their faces when I was on my GS 500 :wow:. I do everything I can to convince those who want to race to start on a small machine, but I would say that I only convince 10% of them. Unfortuntaly from what Ive seen so far, that 10% has the highest likely hood of staying in the sport. That probably has something to do with bike cost, tire cost, fuel, less intimidation, and possibly less injuries with smaller machines. Just my useless 2 cents. Fortunatly, I was blessed to meet somebody like Richy Graver very early who helped me avoid many of the pit-falls of new racers and riders.:up:

9. dubrdr

dubrdr Well-Known Member

i will be at vir in march to get my provisional on saturday depending on weather or not it rains..... its a far ride from pittsburgh to alton and im not about to do my first race in the rain.... i will def be at summit in april tho ....

05 600rr is what im riding

10. fzr400tony

fzr400tony can't ride

I think it has to do with costs as well. A big bike can get costly quick (even a 600).

Also, the LW community is very friendly and helpful.

11. konaunit1

konaunit1 Studdering thread killer

I really wanted to start out on a SV650 this year. I had a sv on lock last year race prepped and ready to go for 2500. Then the guy crashed it and that deal died in the flames. I found an 03 R6 ready to go for 3000. I didn't want to start on a 600 but that is what I kind of have to do now.

I might try to do a trade if I feel like the R6 is to much to start with during the season but there us no way I would of considered a liter bike. Hell I wouldn't mind a ninja 250 I am a cheep bastard. I also think getting an already prepped bike is the way to go.
    :beer:

12. hotnail

:stupid:

13. drop

drop Well-Known Member

<---- tim. 600rr, c ss, and any other class i can...

14. CbusRider

CbusRider Active Member

You obviously have an opinion on this subject. Here's mine:

If a guy wants to start on a liter bike I don't see the reason to tell him he's wrong, scratch whatever prep work he may have been doing and money he may have invested in it and buy an SV. Yes I know I'm exaggerating what you're saying. You (and plenty of others) started on an SV and had fun, great. Now you get a kick out of towing around beginner track day guys on superior equipment and thoroughly impressing them with your one handed riding :bow: I started in the dirt and could just as easily tell you that you should have too (assuming you didn't).

There are skills to be learned on every type of bike yes even a liter bike. And an SV is a solid platform to build a skill set which plenty of experienced racers have reiterated time and time again. But you are assuming in a thread that is supposed to be for new novice WERA racers posting what classes and region they will be riding in, that they have no previous motorcycle experience. Having gone from dirt to street to SV on a track to a 600 on a track I can tell you that I had the least fun on an SV. And isn't that the point after all? And your previous comment about watching too much TV and promptly deciding to road race a liter bike, give me a break. Just because we might me noobs to WERA doesn't mean we fell out of the womb yesterday...ok most of us didn't.

I'm sure your intentions are pure and you're probably a very nice guy, I guess it just rubs me the wrong way when there are plenty of other threads to preach about starting on an SV rather than this one. Or maybe I'm just grumpy because my furnace went out.

15. hotnail

Cbus.....for the record, if you read my posts, you would notice that I did NOT start on an sv. I started on even a smaller machine. The "hand waving" thing was just a point and nothing else. I am sincerely just looking out for the well being of new riders and racers. I see over 125 new riders and potential racers that aspire to do trackdays or race every year. I guess I've just seen things go wrong too many times when they could have been avoided. For the record......I'm a pretty nice guy.....I think! ;)

16. gerber100

gerber100 Well-Known Member

Im planing on being at VIR march 5th and 6th.
    Doing the WERA school saturday then doing c ss and maybe c sb sunday on a
    04 cbr 600rr
    Cant wait!!