1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New North Central Region Racer 2016

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Joey Gardner, Feb 7, 2016.

1. Joey Gardner

Joey Gardner Garddog 229

I have raced motocross all my life and last year took my old R1 to a couple of track days at the local track here in Indiana. I completely fell in love and have since bought a race ready R6. I'm wondering if anyone in the southern Indiana area races WERA or is familiar with it? Reading all the rules and bike tech specs is kind of overwhelming, but I think I'm pretty close on all of it.

Hooligan likes this.
  2. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

I don't live in your area. I'm a Southeasterner. I can help with answering questions though, fire away.:)

Venom51 likes this.
  3. twodocs

twodocs Well-Known Member

The WERA intro guide is pretty good. Look at the schedules of WERA and CCS and decide how far you want to drive!

4. solson1041

solson1041 Well-Known Member

I'm living in Indianapolis and racing with a couple of other guys from the City this year, what were you wondering? The new riders handbook really is a great resource to getting tech sorted out.

5. RRP

RRP Kinda Superbikey

Where in Southern Indiana?

6. Joey Gardner

Joey Gardner Garddog 229

Hey thanks for the reply! I guess I'll start with 3 questions. #1 what class would I be running? I have an '09 R6 with about everything bolt- on that can be done( quick shift, TC, full exhaust, steering stabilizer etc. )but engine/ suspension stock. #2 what is the difference between sprint and solo racing? #3 I know the tech inspection is very critical, and I think I'm very close, but the rules go so far as to say you have to have a factory service manual. Kinda makes me think no matter what I won't pass my first tech after driving 5.5 hours to round 1?

7. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

Pretty sure you're safe in CSS and CSB. You can bump up to BSS. With that said, I don't ride an R6 so I'm just going on general rulebook stuff. Pretty sure another R6 person will pop in to clarify.

Sprints are generally 6-8 lap races that you can score points in. Solos are longer races, but don't score points.

I don't know about the factory service manual rule. I don't have one. I just followed the WERA rulebook to make my bike legal and safe. Tech is not there to turn you away. Tech is there to help you make sure your bike is safe. Trust me, tech wants you out there racing. Your bike would have to be a disaster to fail. Just follow the WERA rulebook and you'll be fine. If you have specific questions we'll help answer them and you should be good to go before your first race.

Venom51 likes this.
  8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Don't worry about the manual, it's in the rulebook for protests not normal tech and even then we can sort it out. I'd never DQ someone for not having it.

9. Joey Gardner

Joey Gardner Garddog 229

I'm sorry I'm so green on all this but I have no idea what CSS or CSB or BSS is. And in sprints is it two 6-8 lap motos like motocross, or heat race then main?

10. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

1) Like Metalhead said, CSS is your first class. CSB is your 2nd. BSS and BSB are others - depending on how many races you want to do in a day. These are sprint classes.
    2) MH answered this good as well, but solo's are typically 20 laps. And you'll be in the Middleweight class. These have small cash payouts, and are generally used for practice.
    3) Don't sweat the first tech inspection. It's very intimidating/nervous for new racers. It's honestly not that bad. Anything you'll need - someone will be able to help you with. Even in you miss some wire, we can wire it on the spot, or tech will let you slide with some RTV for the day.

11. JJJerry

JJJerry Well-Known Member

Read the rulebook for most of this stuff. The "C" classes are 600's, the "B"'s are 750's. The "SS" is superstock, and "SB" is superbike (although most bikes are SS). You can race a superstock bike in superbike, and a 600 in a B classes (ie - you can always race up a class). No moto's/heats - just one 8 lap race and done. If you do 3 classes, you'll have 2 morning practice sessions, then 3 8-lap races.

12. Joey Gardner

Joey Gardner Garddog 229

Right on thanks guys!

13. Nick_OMC

Nick_OMC Will crash your bike

Welcome. If you're familiar with racing, you'll figure out how the schedule rolls through the day.

1 - Sprints are 6-8 lap races, no heats or mains like Moto. Solo races are 20 lap mini endurance races. Lots of fun for working on race craft as the race is longer.
    2 - Classes - C Class is essentially 600cc machines and B Class is up to 750cc machines. This is split in to Superstock and Superbike. The rules limit what mods can be done in SS trim versus SB trim but are much closer now than before. If the rule book states you can do it then it is legal, if it does not state you can or cannot, then you cannot.
    3 - Tech will be helpful if you let them know this is your first weekend. Do your best to read through the rulebook for tech requirements especially safety wire and a maintained bike. Dont show up with dirty stuff, they hate that.

14. Joey Gardner

Joey Gardner Garddog 229

Thank you very much!

15. Joey Gardner

Joey Gardner Garddog 229

16. Joey Gardner

Joey Gardner Garddog 229

Can anyone tell me what brand plastic this is and what brand wind screen will work with it? It has a manufacturer label on the inside of it, but it's been fiberglassed over. The Area code is 772 but I can't read the other numbers

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  17. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

18. Joey Gardner

Joey Gardner Garddog 229

Thank you very much my friend!

19. Joey Gardner

Joey Gardner Garddog 229

20. Nick_OMC

Nick_OMC Will crash your bike

Zero Gravity makes a special windscreen for race bodywork. We sell em at STG.